We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finding the best hotel in khao lak

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
finding the best hotel in khao lak

Hi.. I'm planning a trip to Phuket on early December. Has decided to have 2-3 nights stay in Patong surrounding and considering to have around 2-3 nights stay in Khao Lak as well.

My husband and I will be celebrating our wedding anniversary in Khao Lak, so I'm looking for a beachfront hotel with more romantic feel. We love food, so hoping to also be able to have yummy fine dining or at least romantically set anniversary dinner.. either in the hotel (if the hotel is quite far from the town) or any recommended restaurant nearby.

I've been looking on several hotels which highly recommended in the forum such as JWM, Moracea, Sensimar, Ramada, Beyond, and Pullman/Le Meridien.

Which of these hotels should I consider? Can anyone give some insight on the f&b quality? Also, I'm planning to go for some excursion like the elephant trekking and day trip to Koh Tachai. If I were to choose somewhere more secluded like in Pak Webb area, will it be more difficult for me for going on these excusions?

Thanks a lot..

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

I'm sure any of the resorts mentioned would give you what you are seeking. However, something you may want to consider is, two of them are 'adults only': Beyond and Sensimar.

I have stayed at the currently under expansion/renovation Moracea by Khao Lak Resort and it was wonderful. You can have a special, pre-ordered couple's dinner by candle light under palm trees in a ideal, picture postcard setting - literally on the fringe of the beach... watching the sunset. The food was excellent. It's not cheap... but not outrageously priced either.

I'm sure any of the resorts could prove a similar meal... and at all you're going to be paying 'resort prices'.

As for excursions/tours, most will pick-up at your resort; so location shouldn't matter.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

Hi, my hubby and I have stayed at both the ramada and the sensimar and if you're looking for a more romantic feel, I'd definitely pick the sensimar. Both are walking distance to local restaurants.

If your budget could stretch further, I'd definitely recommend the Sarojin which was sensational and very romantic (we spent our honeymoon there).

Happy travels :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

In terms of standard of accommodation and facilities Sarojin, JWM and Pullman are 5*. The others are 4*. Other 5* to consider are the Casa De la Flora on Bang Niang Beach and the brand new Katilya all pool Villa Resort, next door to the Pullman on Pak Weeb Beach. An idea of your budget would help to give further suggestions/views.

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

Thanks Cruisemonkey & Jocus. I was hoping that Moracea will be opened as scheduled ie. in by 1 December 2014, but contacted the hotel and turns out it is delayed to January 2015 :(

Arandora: my budget is around USD150-200 per night. From my research, although i really like how the resort looks like, Sarojin is definitely out of budget. Do you have any comment regarding the meals in Sensimar? And maybe in Casa de la Flora? Which of these 2 hotels are more recommended in term of the room view and food?

In general, which area have better sunset view? And which hotel have unobstructed view directly from the room? Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

The Sensimar is 4* and the Casa de la Flora was claimed to be Khao Lak's first 6* resort and every time I have looked at prices it has been more expensive than the Sarojin so unless you find a special offer I guess it will be beyond your budget too. All its villas are detached and have their own pool, the more expensive the accommodation, the bigger the pool and the better the view with beachfront sea facing villas having the best view and being most expensive. It has an excellent restaurant with prices for meals not included in your booking arrangement what you would expect of a 5* resort. All the villas are luxuriously furnished and equipped albeit in a modern minimalist style and very high tec. It is set overlooking the beach on a retaining wall and the Bang Niang beach here is at its narrowest and impossible to pass along it when the tide is in. Easy access though to the many shops, restaurants and bars in Bang Niang.

The Sensimar rooms are furnished to a very good standard and as previously commented on I don't think would disappoint. The resort frontage has trees along it and rocks to one side giving it a more natural outlook and the beach on which it is located is not called Sunset Beach without reason. You will have no problems booking tours from any part of Khao Lak and they all should include pick up and drop off at your resort.

Have a look at this link to see pictures from the whole of last High Season of all of Khao Lak's beaches tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

Arandora: thank you...! That's quick. I just relooking at Casa de La Flora, and you are right.. I remembered it wrongly in term of pricing.

I most probably will settle with Sensimar. Just another quick question, what do you think about the pullman? It should be opened by December, right? Do you have any insight on whether they have made any refurbishment after the take over? Should I consider this hotel as well for my stay? Thanks..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

The Le Meridien was transferred from Starwood to Accor management and renamed Pullman from 1st October but has remained open all the time. I'm not aware if any refurbishment has started or if not when it will and what it will comprise. My guess would be it would be cosmetic only until next Low Season (May to October) when the resort is at low capacity. Try Emailing the resort. It still remains one of the best resorts in Khao Lak with the best beach location and the best grounds. It is a large resort with great facilities and wide choice of rooms but if you want direct sea view you are looking at the most expensive beachfront villas. De Luxe rooms on the top floor, centre of the sea facing block, overlooking the spa pool is great for drinks on your balcony at sunset but you are overlooking the facing block. It is 25 minutes by shuttle or taxi to Bang Niang/Bang La On with just a few local restaurants and no shops nerarby.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
51 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

If you look for a smaller ( 30 rooms ) hotel with a nice pool with seaview and nice restaurant next to the sea have a look at Chongfah. However there is no beach in front which didn´t bother us. Pls also note that you will find no sunbeds on the beach in Phuket. They have been taken away and so have the small beach restaurants so be sure you will have a nice pool with enough sunbeds.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

"Pls also note that you will find no sunbeds on the beach in Phuket. They have been taken away and so have the small beach restaurants" - that is also the case in Khao Lak and progressivel;y throughout Thailand.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: finding the best hotel in khao lak

G.day all

Just back from 3weeks in khao lak at ntbr1 an 4knights at the sentido in pool access room for our anniversary an birthdays

Great resort with beach restaurants

Was great for a short stay but love ntbr1&2 beach front bungalows more

Cheers. Bat