We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak - where to find quietness but not seclusion?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
308 posts
3 reviews
Khao Lak - where to find quietness but not seclusion?

Hello,

I'm looking for the right hotel in Khao Lak. I don't want to be surrounded by music and motorboat noise all day and night, thus I'm looking for a quiet place. What stretches of beach should I be avoiding? Looking at the map there are some areas with more hotels: are they all noisy and overcrowded or still quiet despite the resort concentrations? The Haadson Hotel looks great, but maybe it's just a bit too far out. Thus what I'm trying to find is a hotel/beach that is rather quiet, similar style and size would be great (not a huge resort and rooms/bungalows crowding in a small area), and preferably not more than 500 Euro for 6 nights, mid November.

To do: relax, swim a bit, read books, rent a car for 1-2 days and explore the mountains/national parks, maybe do a snorkeling trip if it's possible to just be away for a relatively short time, not a whole day.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak - where to find quietness but not seclusion?

Hi

Welcome to the Khao Lak Forum and, hopefully, to Khao Lak in due course. One of the many attractions for many people is its glorious beaches and the fact that motorised water sports, including jet-skis and speedboats, are not allowed on any of them. There are also no beach clubs, so you don't need to avoid any stretch of beach to avoid music or motorboat noise and none of them, even at Peak Periods are noisy or overcrowded. Over 25km of beaches is a lot compared with the number of visitors to Khao Lak.

The two main beaches that are nearest to restaurants, bars and shops mainly visited in the evening for dinner etc. are Bang La On, with the Nang Thong Beach just down the road from it and Sunset Beach adjacent to it, and Bang Niang with Beach of the same name that is just 10 minutes up the highway.

The more northerly beaches, Khuk Khak, Pakarang, Pak Weeb and Bang Sak are more secluded and home to fewer more upscale resorts. The Haadson is just across Bang Sak Promenade with restaurants adjacent to it and a few hundred metres further to the north just back from the beach past the Sentido Gracelands Resort and about 25 minutes by shuttle or taxi to Bang Niang/Bang La On.

500 Euros is about 3400 THB per night so should get you a good selection of accommodation. I would suggest you use Booking.com to have a look at accommodation for your dates and your budget only because it lists most of the full range in Khao Lak and at very competitive prices and then come back for more information on any that take your eye.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
308 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak - where to find quietness but not seclusion?

Thanks a lot for the information :) Very useful indeed.

I'll have a look at the hotels on Booking again, though we don't have a fixed date as such. We want to travel sometimes in November, and flights from our home town are still widely available. For the right place we also would not mind paying 4400 THB, or only 1400 THB per night. The rest of the trip (Bangkok/nearby and Siem Reap) are also still in flux date-wise. At least we know how long we want to stay where and we're less fussy about hotels in the other two places. :D

3. Re: Khao Lak - where to find quietness but not seclusion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2015, 10:45