We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak end of April

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Khao Lak end of April

Hi everyone we are planning our first trip to Thailand at the end of April 2015. We have planned our stay to incorporate Bangkok and Chiang mai and then plan to spend time at a beach resort. We like laid back nightlife, snorkelling, local food. We are torn between Koh Samui and Khao Lak. Does anyone know what the weather is likely to be like at the end of April in Koh Lak. We have read that this is the end of the season but wonder whether anyone has any experience of visiting at this time of year. Many thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak end of April

The Wet (Low) Season starts at the beginning of May the Dry (High) Season just doesn't change overnight. April is very hot with higher humidity in the evening with a greater chance of thunderstorms usually late afternoon and heavy rain but not usually lasting long and drying quickly afterwards. The Low Season offers advantages in terms of accommodation rates upto half of High Season rates and many hotels/resorts start these reductions mid way through April so look for that when searching. Booking.com features most accommodation throughout Khao Lak at very competitive prices which generally reflect these reduced rates.

Have a look at comparison of average weather and climate:

For Khao Lak at weather-and-climate.info/…Thailand

and

For Koh Samui at weather-and-climate.info/…Thailand

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak end of April

We were in Khao Lak early May last year for a week or so, great weather, sea conditions were good. Any rain was there and gone in 30 minutes. My wife found the heat the most oppressive she's experienced in ten trips to Thailand (west coast), but it didn't bother me at all.

los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak end of April

I have been in Khao Lak at the end of May beginning of June, in the past and it was Ok. Rained most days but only for an hour or so. I have been in Khao Lak at the beginning of April and again it rained most afternoons for 1 hour. Even with short heavy showers it is still worth a visit.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
146 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak end of April

End of April is great, that's when we go

Weather is hot, some showers, possible , and the hotel rates are super value

And not so many people...

Its perfect...

Enjoy !!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak end of April

Agree with Procol - it's generally when we go as well and I love that time of year! The heat can be oppressive though - we are currently here now and it's definitely cooler now than April. I don't think you could ever go wrong in Khao Lak though :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak end of April

"I don't think you could ever go wrong in Khao Lak though :) "

I don't think one of your fellow countrymen would agree judging by this review tripadvisor.co.uk/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

I hope it is removed because of the entirely inappropriate language about guests irrespective of what he thought about the resort. :-(

Edited: 25 October 2014, 21:30
yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Khao Lak end of April

Thank you all for taking the time to reply very helpful. Do you find the sea is ok for swimming snorkelling at the end of April in khao lak

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Khao Lak end of April

It may get rough as the season changes but is usually safe. You need to take care though as apart from near some of the bigger resorts there are no safety flags flown or lifeguard stations.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Khao Lak end of April

That review is awful Alan - I can't help but think that anyone that needs to use the word 'bogan' so much must be one...

To OP, it really is lovely here which is why we keep coming back!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
146 reviews
10. Re: Khao Lak end of April

Must have caught the wrong plane...

Rainfall in Takua Pa, which is about 50 km north of khao lak, they had only one day in the last 2 weeks of april 2014 that was a little soggy.

that area usually receives quite a bit more rain than the khao lak coast beaches.

roll on april 2015..

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak