We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

We are arriving in Thailand tomorrow and want to buy a sim card for use in Khao Lak.

We will only be using it for phone calls back to Australia ie no data usage.

Which is the best service for reception in Khao Lak, where should we buy the card (Phuket airport?), anything that we need to be aware of, apart from the phone being unlocked?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

I just used my own phone and turned off the data. Excellent reception just sitting overlooking the beach one morning. Other times I just sent texts if needed. We there there about 2 weeks ago. Loved Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

Hi

You can get the SIM card from any convenient stores the like of family mart, 7/11. I'm happy with Dtac for both phone and data. Dtac have happy tourist SIM card starter kit for 299baht. The staffs at these stores will also set it up for you with no extra cost.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

You can pick up a free Sim Card in the luggage collection area in Phuket Airport. It only has a small amount on to register it then buy top up at any 711 store. Full instructions in English supplied with the Sim pack.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
517 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

We use the free sim from the airport and Viber on the free hotel wifi, no problem in KL with either.

Enjoy your stay, we arrive Wednesday, might see you around

khao lak
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

i use 1 2 call,cheapest,and get a reception in places the others do not,you can get it from 7/11,remember when dialing out of the country,dial,009 first,then country code example uk,00944 it is cheapest i found living here

6. Re: Sim card & reception in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2015, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak