We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

Morning Khao Lak

I realise there are lots of posts about accommodation, but they seem to be generally in the budget bracket above mine :-(

Am getting to the point where i need to book our accommodation for Khao Lak leg of our 28 day Thai Adventure (final week - 18 - 25 April). We are a party of 7 - 2 mums with 5 boys 9yrs to 14yrs. We will need 2 rooms - room 1 = 1 adult + 2 children (11 & 13); 2nd room = 1 adult + 3 children (9 ; 11; 12). Seems most hotels state max 1 child per room (I know usually 12 + classifies as an adult so OK for me with 3 but not so good for my friend).

OK so i prowl this forum often, have done A LOT of research and my final list is:

1. The Leaf Oceanside ( I know not yet opened -says max 1 child but lets you put 3 adults 1 child? in the reservation thingy)

2. NBTR1

3. NBTR2 (actually these are in no particular order, not sure of main difference for us? I think 1 has the family room at the back)

4. Gerd & Noi Resort

5. Khao Lak Palm Beach Resort?

All feedback is very much appreciated (as it has been for the last 12mths of my planning!)

Love your work :-) thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

I don't know what your budget is, but there are some really great specials on at the moment for hotels in Khao Lak (for the Aussie market). I don't think I am allowed to name specific sites, try doing a google search on the Mai Khao Lak.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

Thanks Teaghan hehe i posted one of those specials yesterday for somebody else - i think it closes today? I am tempted but the Mai just looks like such a massive place and I'm a bit more interested in the smaller more basic type of places. Plus i am travelling with a friend and i think her budget is smaller than mine so i need to work in with her :-)

thanks for the tip, i will have another snoop around :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

The Cousin Resort in Bang Niang where we stay has two adjacent family bungalows, each with two bedrooms, main one en-suite and another bathroom, lounge and dining areas that would accommodate your party or two pool or garden facing would do it also. See http://www.cousinresort.com/

The Ayara Villas just up from Cousin also has family accommodation.

Teaghan2006

There is nothing wrong with posting details of sites with special offers and sharing them with fellow travellers. It is done pretty regularly particularly by fellow Aussies. Provided, of course, you are not the site owner or have a financial interest in it. :-)

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

Thank you Arandora! I looked at Cousin ages ago, not sure why i didn't go back? is it far from town? Can we walk to restaurants, shops etc i guess is the real question - thought i read somewhere it was further out? I will go and have another look now.

Any feedback on my list?

Many thanks - you have been very helpful for a long time with all your contributions! :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

Cousin is one road back from Bang Niang Beach and easy walking distance to restaurants, bars ans shops and not that far from the main 3 days a week market which opens Monday, Wednesday and Saturday afternoons. See map at walagata.com/w/…Bang_Niang_October_2013.jpg

Re your list:

- Leaf Oceanside - can't comment on the accommodation as the refurb isn't finished yet, Location is good though for Nang Thong Beach down the road and centre of Bang La On up the road.

- NTBR1 is just down from the Leaf Oceanside so shares its advantages for location plus is direct beachfront although the family accommodation is at the rear if you go for that rather than two bungalows.

- NTBR2 is further down the beach but still handy for restaurants etc in Bang La On. No family accommodation section though, just bungalows.

- Gerd & Noi Resort is just down the road from the Cousin in Bang Niang. It's a new resort with pool and restaurant but bungalows are small and very close together.

- Khao Lak Palm Beach Resort is towards the southern end of Sunset Beach which is adjacent to Nang Thong Beach. Access to Bang La On is from the entrance up on the highway with a 20 minute or so walk down the highway and then into "town" and longer walk (as highway is steeper at the top) back or short taxi ride either way.

Hope this helps.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

awesome! much appreciate your help Arandora!! Need to make a decision soon i think

Thanks again :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

You should get good rates for your period because although it is still High Season for most until the end of May, certain resorts reduce their rates to Low Season rates, often half as much, from 15th April. So I would bear that in mind when you are getting quotes on your list.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

Will do - thank you :-)

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

NTBR and NTBR2 will still be premium price until end of april

gerd and noi, postage stamp size

cousin might just suit, price wise, and is very close to everything

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Accommodation Options - final list. Please help :-)

thanks procol :-)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations