We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands, Khao Lak or Katathani, Kata beach?

ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
The Sands, Khao Lak or Katathani, Kata beach?

We have the option of staying 8 nights at the Sands or splitting it 4 and 4. Does anyone know both resorts? We are looking for a lovely beach for walking and swimming [I read somewhere that the beach at The Sands is only uncovered at low tide?] , easy access to a few local restaurants, no wild night life. The deal at The Sands is very good but is there anything we should be aware of before we firm up the booking? We will lose the best part of a day packing up and moving resorts so would prefer to stay in one place for 8 nights if possible.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sands, Khao Lak or Katathani, Kata beach?

The Sands has a huge, grassed sunbathing/pool area elevated 1.5 - 2m (I think there is 8 steps) off the beach behind a concrete 'sea wall'. It is NOT true the beach is only uncovered at low tide. You can walk for miles on the beach in both directions. There are many local restaurants close by.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sands, Khao Lak or Katathani, Kata beach?

I should add/clarify -

The water may come to the base of the sea wall on extreme high tides. However, the vast majority of time, even at high tide, there is exposed beach.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sands, Khao Lak or Katathani, Kata beach?

Better beach in front of Katathani, but the beach at The sands is kilometers long and just as nice as Katathani a short walk away. Far better access to local restaurants at the Sands, at the Katathani you are very captive to a couple of local cafes, unless you take a taxi over the hill to Kata. Having stayed there for 5 days last year, 8 days at Katathani would be too many for us, but at The Sands probably not enough (I'll let you know in 4 weeks).

4. Re: The Sands, Khao Lak or Katathani, Kata beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations