We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Hi, I have 7 nights in Khao Lak. I'm tossing up between The Sands and Apsara for March 2015. My dilema having never been to Khao Lak, is reading the different reviews regarding location is that Apsara is a taxi into the main part where most of the restaurant/cafes are and The Sands is walking out of the resort and everything is there. How quiet is the area around Apsara during March - I'm not looking to party or get plastered every night but some choice of places to eat at would be nice. In saying this, I know it's not really that far in a taxi and the cost really not to much. I keep looking at the Pool Villa at Apsara and would love to stay there. Thoughts?

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
1. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

I loved Apsara, which is right on the beach. It is the more quiet part of KL, but as you said you can always get a taxi.

We have our own transportation so for us the location was great. Besiddes I am not a big fan of the restaurants near the center of KL. We were lucky to find a perfect little restaurant, which had no tourists visiting. Great authentic spicy food.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Thanks Denis, just tried to do a 360degree virtual tour of Apsara as I was trying to work out the location of the Pool Villas, do you know if there are any with beach views?

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
3. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

I wasn't in that part of the resort. You cross a little bridge to get to the pool villas. But there is direct acces to the beach from the resort.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Hi Lisa

The pool villas are in a separate complex over a bridge across the creek inlet and are set back from the beach behind Memories Beach bar and Restaurant with no direct views of the beach or ocean from the villas. These are pics of Pakarang Beach where the Apsara is located and including shots within the resort as we walked around it taken over the last High Season https:/…

It all depends what kind of restaurants and cuisine you would like to choose from whether you stay at the Apsara or the Sands. At the Apsara outside the resort you have just a few local restaurants serving basically the same Thai menu but in different settings. Bang La On is the main township of Khao Lak with most restaurants , shops and some bars, all of which are walking distance from the Sands or by shuttle/taxi from the Apsara. Bang Niang, the second largest township having many restaurants with the widest selection of different cuisines (Thai [local and regional], Mexican, German, Japanese, Italian, Swedish. International), many bars and small shops as well as the main Bang Niang Market (open Monday, Wednesday and Saturday afternoons) is 5-10 minutes nearer to the Apsara and 5-10 minutes by taxi up from the Sands.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Thanks Arandora, there's a bit to weigh up. I did see on the 360deg virtual that the pool villas looked to be in a separate area from the resort. Cheers, Lisa.

Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
7. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Just arrived seems nice except the 3 geckos I'm trying to evict from the villa! Don't like those things but I'll survive, just too quick,

Let u all know how first morning goes

John

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Keep the geckos. Where there are geckos there are no mossies! They will keep your room clear at night. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

Hi John, are you staying in a pool villa at apsara? Awww leave the geckos, good to have around and harmless and as everyone says they will eat the mozzies!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: The Sands or Apsara Beachfront - help!

We are going to the Apsara in 4 weeks. What is the name of the restaurant and how far if walking?

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak