We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six days in Khao Lak or???

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
306 reviews
Six days in Khao Lak or???

I have been tasked with sorting out my in laws 50th wedding anniversary trip (just turning 70). the will be joining us for two weeks in March (Bangkok, Beach and Angkor). Whilst owe have been to Thailand many times in the past, this is the first time visiting the Andaman coast for many years. The least time in Khao Lak was pre tsunami. Clearly things have changed a lot.

I could really do with some help from people who have recent experience. I have been focusing on Khao Lak as, in addition to being easy to get to, it seems to strike the right balance of being reasonable laid back but still with a decent selection of restaurants/bars but with none of the excesses associated with some other beach resorts. I am however open to other locations.

Budget is <$75 per night - double room, ac, ensuite. Quiet rather than on a main drag. we will have a car from the duration and that may expand the range of accommodation options.

Any suggestions for places to stay (to avoid) would be much appreciated.

we need to keep them occupied for their time on the beach so any excursions suggestions would be great. Phang na Bay, Khao Sok NP etc. are on the list.

Many thanks in advance

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Six days in Khao Lak or???

Hi

Welcome to the forum and, hopefully, welcome back to Khao Lak. Indeed, a lot of things have changed in terms of the rebuilding of resorts destroyed in the Tsunami and, more importantly, the rebuilding of the community decimated by that tragic event which has its 10th Anniversary this year. There is now a wide range of accommodation to suit all budgets, restaurants to suit all tastes and activities in and around Khao Lak to suit all age ranges. We stay in Khao Lak from November to April each year and are near both your in-laws ages (well a few years off) and their 50th (4 years off and also in March) so I'm sure they will feel as much at home there as we do.

* In relation to accommodation, this is a comprehensive list of accommodation throughout Khao Lak across the various locations www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm and to the most recent maps tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… The two main townships where you will find most accommodation and wide range of restaurants bars and shops are Bang La On, just up the road from Nang Thong Beach (suggested resorts are Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1), Nang Thong Beach Resort (NTBR2), Centara Seaview, Khao Lak Orient, Bhandari, Sands Resort, The Leaf on the Sands and The Leaf on the Beach) and Bang Niang 10 minutes up the highway (suggested resorts Fanari Courtyard, Cousin Resort, Chong Fah Resort, Ayara Villas, Khao Lak Riverside). Also use Booking.com to search for accommodation for your dates and budget and ask or comments on any you like the looks of.

* In relation to Things to Do, plenty of info in the FAQs on the right and this one gives some ideas with pics tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… Having a car will help you do most of these independently from tour packages.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 16 September 2014, 14:28
London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
306 reviews
2. Re: Six days in Khao Lak or???

Thanks Arandora, that was very helpful. I am currently ploughing my way through theTQs on the right, again, all v. useful. Also had a peek at the seadragon site which was helpful. Bizarrely, I found an old T shirt from our last dive trip with them years ago, only the other day!

If I may, I will come back with a shortlist for comment ( got to get it right for my MIL!).

Tanks once again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Six days in Khao Lak or???

No proble. Got to keep on the right side of MILs! LOL

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Six days in Khao Lak or???

Hi, I would recommed a look at Khaolak Orchid Beach. This is within budget range. There is both a free bus to Khao Lak, and if a car is available you will be in Biang Niang with many restaurants within a few minutes.

It´s a quite location with plenty of space between the beach chair, where is a adult pool, even the hotel is quite small.

I have stayed at Chong Fah Resort, it´s excellent and highly recommendable.

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
306 reviews
5. Re: Six days in Khao Lak or???

Many thanks JohnT. However, I had already booked Khaolak Yama resort ( plus a couple of nights in Khao Sok

6. Re: Six days in Khao Lak or???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 09:46