We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 bed accommodation options

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
2 bed accommodation options

Hi, We are travelling to Khao Lak region in the first week in December with our 17 yo twin sons and looking for a resort which offers 2 bed villa, I would be grateful for any suggestions. We have not been to Thailand before, booked some cheap airfares and have been somewhat surprised at the expense of the accommodation options outside of Phuket. We are not keen to stay in Phuket and would be grateful for any suggestions?

Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

The two main accommodation areas of Khao Lak are Bang La On just up the road from Nang Thong Beach. Resorts with more reasonably priced 2 bed or family accommodation are the Laguna, Centara SeaView and Nang Thong Bay Resort.

Bang Niang is 10 minutes or so further north with the Cousin Resort having two two bedroom bungalows and Ayara Villas having family bungalows.

The 5* Beyond Resort and 5* Le Meridien on the more secluded Pak Weeb Beach 20 minutes further north have individual 2 bed villas but are more expensive.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,840 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

You did pick peak season, and worst, the beginning of Dec has 2 Thai holidays. First time to Thailand, but you don't want to stay on Phuket, assume you are arriving at Phuket.

If reason being, you associate the negatives of Patong with all of Phuket, you would be gravely mistaken. considering the addition expense and travel to Khao Lak (not too much really), though I consider Khao Lak a bit more upscale than Karon or Kata Beach, Phuket, so the time and expenses may be better spent on Phuket, since there, and not Patong. Two 17 year olds may get very bored, very fast at Khao Lak.

both beachs have more options with no need for tuk tuk or rental car / MB.

Edited: 14 September 2014, 07:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
410 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

The Khao Lak area is very quiet but does have the National Park with lots of sort of walking, canoeing, waterfall tours but if your boys are anything like my kids and don't actually like 'walking' then this won't appeal to them. Not sure what the Khao Lak surf is like in December, its a bit dicey in the wet season, though Arandora would probably be able to tell you. There is more happening in Patong and teenagers like it cause of the shopping but I'm not keen on it myself, very crowded and crazy, and wouldn't recommend it .

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We arrive in Phuket but I'm afraid the idea of Patong just doesn't appeal and perhaps wrongly, I had associated this with all of Phuket. The boys are keen to try rafting, Muay Thai, beach etc and we would like some relaxation time in safe area with great pool area and access to beach, restaurants etc. We would also like to do some of the tours, elephant ride, island visits etc. Again looking for a 2 bed option and would be grateful for any advice on locations and resorts.

Thanks all

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

You can go north to Khao Sok National Park for rafting or same distance south to Whiote Water Rafting and ATV. You can go south also into the caves in Phang Nga Bay in a sea canoe and there is a Muay Thai Camp in Khao Lak - see Top Things to Do FAQs on the right and pics of the popular tours at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

There is still gentle surfing from Pakarang Beach during the Dry Season.

Look at 2 bed options, including the ones I have mentioned in my previous reply on Booking.com as they have a search option for multiple rooms. Other than the top end expensive resorts there are few resorts with two bedroom accommodation. You will have more choice and and less expensive choice considering 2 adjacent rooms. The Orchid Beach Resort is an excellent resort with adjoining family accommodation and offers great deals for booking direct. It is in a more ecluded position on Khuk Khak Beach which does have great waves for body boarding.There are dining options nearby and it is only 10 minutes by shuttle or taxi into the main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
504 posts
183 reviews
6. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

Last month I stayed at the Ramada with my family of 7. We had adjoining rooms, king bed in one and two doubles in the other, plenty of room. The Ramada is on the beach at Bang Niang (hope I'm right!), great place to stay, walking distance to shops, market, massage etc. One day we did a half day tour through Eco Khao Lak Adventures which included elephant riding, bamboo rafting, turtle sanctuary, waterfall, lunch, we had the best time.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

Unless your 17 year olds really need a large number of bars and nightclubs KL will suit you fine. There are some nightlife options, just not so many as phuket and samui- that's precisely why we all like to go to KL!!

Plus you can get hotels on or very near the beach for a reasonable price.

We always stay at the orchid. Family rooms with 2 bedrooms and one bathroom are on the ground floor, though, so most of them miss the great views from the 2 higher floors. why not just get 2 rooms (hopefully near each other). this is a quiet family run hotel and although the rooms are not 'connecting' you could probably wave to each other from nearby balconies.

loads of fun tours from KL.

How long are you staying- you might also consider a couple of days in a tree house resort in khao sok, before moving on to KL. both an easy reach from phuket airport.

have fun. we hope to return in january and can't wait.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
89 reviews
8. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

Crickey,

Khao Lak is by far the best place we have found in Thailand, you and your kids will enjoy it, BUT I don't understand as first time travellers to Thailand you don't want to do Phuket.

In Sydney we have Kings Cross, 2 streets, in Melbourne you have a sleazy street or 2, same in every city in the world. In Phuket at Patong Beach you have one street Bangla Rd, which I've walked down late at night many times with my wife and have never been hassled. I don't understand where people get this perception from, sure there are lady boys and ping pong shows but nobody is going to force you to go inside. And there are numerous other beaches on Phuket you can stay at.

Go with an open mind and enjoy Phuket as well as Khao Lak. I have encouraged all 3 of my children to visit Patong, none came back with adverse comments. Look around your own home town there is more sleaze there!!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions for me to explore further and I take on board the comments regarding Phuket, perhaps we'll do a day trip to explore.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: 2 bed accommodation options

Finally managed to have a look at some hotel options, I am thinking either Orchid Beach or Apsara Beach, both seem nice and decided just to go with 2 rooms. Which has nicer beach and closer to restaurants, cafes etc?

Thanks