We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bang Niang market & Shopping

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
76 reviews
Bang Niang market & Shopping

Hey!

Could someone help me. I was thinking just to take a small bag when travelling to Khao lak and gonna buy a big suitcase from there. Does anybody remember the prices they a selling big suitcases? And is there any suitcases sold in Bang Niang market? Or should we just go shopping to Phuket town?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

Suitcases of various sizes are sold on Bang Niang Market and in the shops in Bang La On and Bang Niang which are basically the same as the market. If the object is to travel light then buy a big suitcase to fit what you buy, it depends what you want to buy bearing in mind there is a more limited range of shopping in Khao Lak which has no shopping malls or designer stores. Like most things the luggage is either local brand or copy famous brands with lesser quality than the real thing. Local brand are better value and cheaper, copies, like other goods you haggle over price. Taking into account the price I paid for a medium size expandable case on wheels, I would expect to pay upwards of 2000 baht for a standard large case.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

It really pays to shop around and find exactly what you want. In August, I bought two matching 'Sampsonite' (fake... but very good quality) suitcases in Bang La On. One morning I went comparison shopping. All the stores had almost identical 'asking prices' for similar items. After looking at everything, I figured out (in Thai baht) what would be a 'good deal' - what I was willing to pay - which was 50% of the asking price. In negotiations when I went back to the store where I had found what I wanted, I stuck to it and wouldn't budge... not even 100 baht. It took 'walking away' to 'close the deal'.

Could I have gotten them for less? Perhaps... but I'm happy with them and the price I paid.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

How much did you pay, if I may ask?

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

I paid 4000 baht for a 75cm 'large' and a 56cm 'carry-on'. 'Local brands' could be had for about half that.

I can't stress the 'shop around' aspect too much... because even within the fake, 'name brands' the quality varies. Examine them carefully.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

Thanks for that. :-)

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

4000 baht for fakes is expensive.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

Compared to what or where? A bit more information to substantiate your view would be welcome - and from you, unusual!

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

4000 baht is approx. USD $125. I don't think that's expensive for two, good quality, locking, expandable, 4-wheel fake Sampsonite suitcases. The 'large' (checked bag) made it back to China virtually unscathed... something my real, American Tourister luggage never did!

It is expensive compared to the 'local' (Thai) brands... but they'd probably have been 'ripped to shreds' and be falling apart.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

If it is not KC's way it is no way!

10. Re: Bang Niang market & Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak