We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here Now Report

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Here Now Report

Day1

Finally its my turn, the day is here. Woke early too excited to sleep. Rand Kris and we got onto the PC to check out the seating and moved our seats, forward again booking 12A and C , a spare seat between us. We were keeping our fingers cross this is how it would stay.

Kris and I both managed to arrive at Sydney airport at exactly the same time! We still had 45 mins to kill before we could check in so headed to the outdoor terrace bar, for coffee, then heading back for check in which was quick and easy as we had both do web check in already. So then back to the Terrace bar, its time for a drink and last smoke before going through.

Immigration was fast but the bag scanning had huge lines so took quite some time to get through here. Arrived at our boarding gate with about 45 mins to boarding, Then the bad new our flight was delayed, grrr I just want to leave now, oh well they often make up time in flight. Well our 15 min delay dragged out to an hour before we boarded. Then once on board another delay, some bogans trying to drink booze they had bought on board. Then yeah the doors close, but only to reopen again, a technician is coming on board to fix something. Oh well better now than in the air I say. Finally 2 hours late we take off from Sydney.

Flight is smooth sailing, except the announcement that someone had been smoking in the tolilet ( guessing it was the same bogans from the early issue). We picked up an hour in flight landing at Phuket at 9.45pm. However 3 other plans had arrived at the same time so immigration was a tad busy.

Finally out of there found our driver and we are on our way to Khao Lak. Its Midnight by the time we get here, and the security guy comes out with our keys, ok guess we will officially check in this morning haha

Now after 4 hours sleep I was wide awake at 5.30am, so figured whilst I waited for the sun to come up to write this. Now the day has dawned I am off to check it out

Seeya

Day 2

Feeling trashed from our late night arrival, but could not sleep. So awake at about 5am, ended up getting up at 530am after about 4 hours sleep, oh well the sun will be up soon. So I waited patiently for my travelling companion to awake, ( hurry up and have a shower I am starving) and headed to breakfast. After 2 large Lattes I was reasonably human again.

We the best course of action was to keep busy so we set off on a weeeee little walk. We went south from Nang Thong Beach resort 1, as far as we could high tide, so not much further than ntbr2, went up through some resort and ended on the freeway. There was some unexpected shopping so we headed back to NTBR1 to drop it off and continued our weeee little walk. So we now headed north up the road , down though a resort after the green beach hotel to the beach. Went to walk through the Sands and security threw us out lol. So continued north around the bend, to Peters Bar. Well by this stage we had been walking for about 3 hours so it was lunch and drinks. We decided we would not go back via the beach but walk back through to the small road that leads to NTBR1. Slight miss calculation, we can out some kms down the highway ( again) but this time to the north. By this time the sun was out in all her glory, needless to say we were a tad hot and sweaty. All up we left home around 9am and returned at 2pm, so about 4 hours walking, and boy can I feel it now.

We spent the next few hours by the pool, then showered and headed to the market for a look, and hour or so there Walking around again!! Them back the the highway near the road to NTBR then we walked down to Boss’s tour desk and organised a driver to take us to Whike Sands tomorrow and maybe Khao Sok on Monday. We WALKED back to the hotel and had dinner watching the sun set.

Then just for something different I WALKED up the street again for a well deserved massage. Needless to say I found more places that ache than I knew I had lol. Tomorrow if I can even get out of bed is declared a WALK free day by me.

Well that’s it for today, Nite all

Day 3

Not much to say about today except : Today was the most amazing low season weather. We headed off to White Sands Beach . We had organised transfers with boss last night for a 11am pickup here and a 3pm return from there. By lunch time we knew it was not long enough may as well stay till sunset. So a quick call to Thanabodee Boss Krongyut, and all sorted, now we have a 7pm pickup :)

Was the most relaxing day, and Whites Sands did not disappoint.

The day was spent lying on a beach Chair ( yes they are still there ATM) under the umbrella with a drinkie or 2, fantastic luch with a wee drink, then a massage, then more beach cahir time and another wee drink. followed by sunset and dinner.

For all those that think low season is no good, oh well thats your loss, it does not get any better than today.

Tomorrow its off to Khao Sok

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here Now Report

Great initial reports. It will be interesting to see if the three resorts on White Sand Beach continue to rent their loungers and umbrellas (I presume they did rent them to you?) in the High Season. It was their going OTT with these that turned the best part of the best beach in Khao Lak from its best kept secret to its most popular day trip with rows of loungers going all the way along and down and even into the sea at times. All other beach places seem yo have complied with the NCPO Order. Still, enjoy it while you can.

Mentioned in this post
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,169 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here Now Report

Thanks for your report, I think you deserved a drink or two and massage after all that walking. Glad the weather's been good.

Looking forward to your next update.

Yzerfontein, South...
Level Contributor
312 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here Now Report

Thanks for the great read. I am pleased to read you walk al lot. We did the same when we were in Khao Lak the first time in May. I wish I had a pedometer to see how far we actually walked, but it kept us fit and you see far more. Enjoy you holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here Now Report

My legs are aching from reading the report. ;-)

Haven't you been to Walkers yet?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here Now Report

Hi Michelle,

Great report, keep them coming. Was that the new Jetstar Dreamliner that let you down?

We find KL a great walking spot too, we will walk from NTBR1 up to the Bang Niang Markets along the beach and more often than not come home the same way.

Looking forward to your report on Koh Sok, we are doing it next trip.

Which beach front did you score at NTBR1? If you are in 102 look after it for us.

Hope the great weather keeps up for you,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
644 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here Now Report

nothing like a bit of entertainment on a long flight!

As for your time in Khao Lak, now that sounds like a holiday!! Of course in that heat it is important to keep up your fluids...

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here Now Report

Unfortunately, in that respect alcohol is a diuretic. That's why I refuse to walk in the heat. I'm not lazy. I lay around the pool or sit at the pool bar for my health... to keep from getting dehydrated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here Now Report

Yes Tezzat we were on the new Dreamliner, not sure what the issue was, but I figure you can get delays with any airline, and way better to fix a problem befor take off I think.

By the way, the Sakai Bar that we loved last year is sadly gone.

In Patong now and still having a good time, oh and certianly keeping the fluids up lol

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here Now Report

Day 3

Was Khao Sok National Park Lakes trip, organised through Boss. Sunya was our driver and guide , and what a lovely man and driver he was.

Its a 2 hour drive to the lake, and it is very pretty indeed. Limestone green water and huge cliffs going straight up.

We cruised around here then headed to the raft houses. Very interesting idea but not something I could get into. I found once we stopped in the boat, it was extremely humid and hot.

We had luch at one of the raft houses where you could swim and canoe around.

All in all I am glad I did this trip, its very pretty in its own right, but compared to Phang Nga Bay, it lacks a little.

But none the less great day, great guide and worthwhile

From here I am off to Patong, so see you next May Khao Lak

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
10. Re: Here Now Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations