We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam/ SPAM alert

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
Scam/ SPAM alert

I stayed at Khaolak Seafood Guesthouse back in 2009. Apparently I am still in their address book as I just received this mail from soemone who is using their address

Hello,

Just hoping this email reaches you.....I really hope you get this fast.I could not inform anyone about my trip,because it was impromptu.I came to Kyiv,Ukraine for a trip..The trip was successful and everything was fine until I was attacked on my way back to the hotel,i wasn't hurt but I lost my money, bank cards, mobile phone and my bag in the course of this attack....I immediately contacted my bank in order to block my cards and also made a report at the nearest police station. I've been to  the embassy and they are helping me with my documentation so i can fly out.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you,but i have only very few people to run to now. I will be indeed very grateful if you could help me with about $2,450 USD, this will enable me sort out my hotel bills and get my self back. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return.Let me know if you can be of any assistance...Please,let me know as soon as possible.

Hope to read from you soon.

Thanks and Regards.

Rai

Warning!!!!!

Edited: 26 August 2014, 05:45
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

Everybody gets these types of messages. I once won $60bn euros in a Spanish lottery without even buying a ticket!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

I am very aware of these scams, but this is from the guesthouse address book! Someone has compromised it, and it will go out to all of their guests!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

I just got a call today from an airline I have never flown thanking me for my business and rewarding me with a free flight :)

South Australia
Level Contributor
352 posts
162 reviews
4. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

I keep getting calls from Microsoft or Windows :(

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

Hi

It could be some one hijack their email account. We had similar experience. We used transfers company in Bali. Like you we exchanged email for dated to pick up etc. a few months later we got email from theses people asking from money in stirling pound. At first like you we were quite upset with whole thing ( how dares they do this to their customers) and though the worst. But A few days alter we had another email from them ( real one) told us that their email account had been compromised.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

Maneki-neko

Thanks for the warning.

Khao Lak Seafood Guesthouse was rebuilt/refurbished, both the restaurant and accommodation, after 2009 and is now called Khao Lak Seafood Family House. Its current Email address is khaolakseafood@yahoo.com Is this the Email address your contact came from? I have a friend who lives in Khao Lak and is a friend of the family owning Khao Lak Seafood. I will pass your information on to him to inform the owners in case they are unaware of what has happened.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

Maneki-neko

I've passed the information on via my friend to Khun Rai who was unaware of it and is going to inform guests, customers and friends via Facebook and report it to her ISP. She thanks you for informing others.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
8. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

I have already sent them a message to their e-mail address, but thanks. I hope they get it.

9. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 13:05
los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
10. Re: Scam/ SPAM alert

I have also had the calls from Microsoft, it is always the same person, who calls. I was getting the two or tree times a day, they have stopped now.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak