We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
760 posts
81 reviews
Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Firstly, we booked this because of all the wonderful recommendations on this forum. Booking was super easy - we walked along to their stand in town and booked with a girl who understood our request in English & we completed paperwork. We were leaving on Queens Birthday so were concerned that if taxi didn't show, we would be left with few options.

Taxi arrived 10 minutes early - great service. Driver didn't appear to speak English but this wasn't an issue. Car was clean & easy to identify with signage.

Then it turned to custard - we have traveled all around the world and this was the worst taxi experience ever. We truly didn't know if we would make it in one piece. In 60k areas we were doing 90k, but worse was the tail gating. At 90 - 100k we were about 2 metres behind the vehicle in front. We overtook on double yellow lines, on corners with little visibility and heaven forbid if an animal had run in front of us or a motor cycle pulled out - there would have been no avoiding.There were children enjoying their holiday, playing ball on the roadside - we just closed our eyes and hoped for the best for everyone.

We did ask driver to slow down and gestured with hands - to no avail. The only time he displayed any sense of safety was when we followed a police vehicle - distances opened up, speed limits adhered to. We were hoping the police we heading to the airport so we got safe passage, but no. As soon as they turned off, the foot went down, the impatience returned and we returned to the "Khao Lak Grand Prix".

I am wondering if this is because of new rules at the airport whereby we had to be transferred to a van to enter the airport. From reading I understand that only licensed operators are allowed on airport property now. If we were speeding/taking risks to meet the van that was waiting with other passengers, then timing needs to be adjusted so drivers don't have to break the law & endanger passengers.

We sincerely wished we had paid the 2000bht our hotel charged (yes double what we paid) as our young driver took his job very seriously. We actually commented on what a great driver he was a the end of the journey and gave him a small tip. No such gratitude to this one. We also felt guilty as we had put 2 other couples on to this company at our resort - we just hope they make it home safely.

If I had read something along these lines before our trip I never would have booked - hence my post. We all love to save money - but sometimes in life you get what you pay for - buyer beware!

Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
1 review
1. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Maybe you should make Boss aware of this so he can deal with the driver in question!!!

Such a shame to smear IMO a good company without giving Boss the opportunity to rectify the situation...

We have used Boss's services a number of times and never experienced anything like this...

Always found the services and drivers to be professional, courteous, punctual and arrived at destinations safely

Sorry for your experience...

Edited: 14 August 2014, 05:26
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

I'm sure I had the same driver as 'small-Jo' on July 29 (HKT to The Leaf) when I came back from Laos. The 'tail gating' was unbelievable - at times doing 100 km/hr., following literally 3 meters behind the car in front - he has absolutely no concept of what will happen when: mass, speed and inertia combine in the 'wrong' way.

I reported him to Boss.

I'm still using 'Cheaper Than Hotels' later today... with confidence (which I hope is not misplaced).

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Pity one driver can spoil a good business.

We have used Boss 10-12 times in the past 2 1/2 years, all drivers have been great.

Please report this to Boss so he is aware.

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
760 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

WazAustralia - Boss is aware and "thanked me for letting him know". It doesn't change our experience nor negate what happened. As you are no doubt aware, we (TA contributors) are in a minority of people who use a hotel or service and post reviews. Who's to say others haven't experienced the same, just not written about it? (And of course there will be hundreds who haven't posted when everything was perfect).

As a traveler who uses these sorts of public forums to make informed choices, there doesn't appear to be much negative said about CTHT's. Surely it's better to have the info out there for all to see, rather than pretending all is perfect? I did make a point of stating that booking process was easy & efficient and driver was punctual - not looking to "smear" a good company, just sharing our experience.

Also things have changed just recently - from what I've read by others, their service has taken them directly to departures at Phuket airport. Now this is not possible - am unsure if it's because they aren't licensed to operate from the airport or if it's to do with the fact that the government is pushing for metered "taxis"

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

So if drivers are "rushing" to meet the vans (signage was not CTHT's) that can get on to airport property (you swap over on the side of the road in a gravel area), then it could be an ongoing issue. Or it could be a one off experience with a driver who just wanted to get home quickly to spend time with his family on the public holiday,

Either way, it happened & Boss is aware of it. TA users tend to be savvy and will weigh up all the posts - there certainly are plenty endorsing this company, hence we didn't wander the streets and just book the cheapest option. Reliability & safety were our biggest concerns - 10/10 on the first, major fail on the second.

CruiseMonkey - if it was the same driver then I am disheartened that nothing changed after you reported him. If it was another, then I hope he has amended his ways. I could find no post from you on this topic – hence why I labelled mine as I did, rather than let it get lost in my review of Khao Lak which I will post in due course. Let us know of your experience today ...

Safe travels.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Boss assures me he has spoken to the driver in question. When I get home, I'll report on my experience this afternoon.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Messaged Boss for comments both about his driver(s) speed and also about transferring passengers to a mini-bus. Will post here when reply received.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Boss immediately replied that he has been made aware of these complaints from the customers and had words with the drivers. As for transferring passengers from cars to mini-buses Boss says this is by order of the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) and applies to all taxi companies for passengers arriving in cars not mini-buses and as far as he is aware will last only until New Year.

I'm sorry about the experiences of small-jo and CM but I do think that the headline of the topic is unfair if past reports are anything to go by. There have been some previous reports about speeding drivers, which is a malaise shared by Thai drivers in general, and it is right that Boss or any other taxi operator should be made aware of the matter.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
317 posts
87 reviews
8. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

We're off in about a month and will be booking with Boss. Can you tell me Arandora if the "transferring " when we get to the airport will incur an additional cost on top of the 2800 baht return price? Thanks for any information.

Heather.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

As far as I am aware there is no cost. Boss never mentioned it. I think it is partly due to the redevelopment of the airport and the reorganisation of taxi arrangements throughout Phuket.

Kiwi Kid, Auckland
Level Contributor
760 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Avoid Boss-Cheaper Than Hotels Taxi If You Value Safety

Can confirm that there is no additional cost to transfer - if you have to wait for other guests, you are in the comfort of an air conditioned van so there is no downside to this arrangement.