We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

Belgium
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

We have about 12 days early december, just can't decide whether to spend them all in 1 place, or to combine khao lak and ko lanta. We did the gulf of thailand last year, three islands in 12 days which suited us perfectly. We like to take some dives, Khao Lak would be our preference for that. Khao Sok National Park is close and looks like an interesting day trip, so Khao Lak look like a good base to me. But maybe after 5 or 6 nights it would be time to go someplace else, I know I get restless if I stay in the same hotel too long. Ko Lanta is also on my list. We fly in and out of Bangkok, haven't booked any domestic flights yet, trying to put the itinerary together, maybe you can help ?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

You could fly Bangkok to Krabi then transfer to Ko Lanta then ferry /road to Khao Lak then taxi to Phuket Airport at the end. Or start at Phuket finish at Krabi. Either way contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis for taxis to and from Khao Lak. Contact cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
607 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

That's exactly what we've booked to do in November. 6 nights koh lanta and 5 nights khao lak. Thought it would give us the best of both worlds.

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

We did BKK then down to Khao Sok for 3 nights and then on to Khao Lak for 5 nights which worked well for us. Next year we want to go back and as we didn't get the chance to sort some snorkelling we want to go back to Khao Lak and are looking at combining with Ko Lanta next time - also want to do CM but think that this may start to get too busy!

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

Hey,

We're also planning to go Koh Lanta and after that to Khao Lak. In which way are you going to travel to Khao Lak? I have read that there's a lot of choices and we can't just decide :)

1) Ferry to Krabi- taxi to Khao Lak

2) Car ferries (2) to Krabi town- then taxi

3) Ferry to Phuket town (Rassada pier) and then take taxi

4) Ferry to Ao Nang- then taxi

What's the best way?

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

A taxi from Krabi will be expensive. Have a look at what buses go there.

http://www.phuket.com/info/bus-schedule.htm

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

EevaW80

The best and far more convenient way is by private transfer especially with luggage and direct ferry to hotel. Contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak who arranges private transfers and ferry ticket between Ko Lanta and Khao Lak on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

Hi Arandora

I am back again just keeping an eye on info for our 2015 trip! Your help was invaluable this year so thank you again! (and also to everyone else!)

Re private transfer from Ko Lanta to Khao Lak - approx how long does the trip take.

We have 8 days "down there" flying into Krabi and out of Phulek so was going to do Ko Lanta first - but now a little worried that we will be losing a day tranferring between 2 and that we should possibly stay put in one place!

Will be keeping eyes open for accommodation -and want to find somewhere in Khao Lak again that faces out onto beach.

Any suggestions always welcomed!!

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

It looks like your all doing the same trip here...

Lanta to Khao Lak or vice versa, is about the longest trip I do. I don't like wasting holiday sunlight stuck in transport. Taxi the quickest but still long and way was too expensive even with Mr Boss prices :-)

@EevaW80, I think I read your post on Lanta forum..Think about heading straight to Lanta first, then taking the ferry back for your stay at Ao Nang, you can then have a shorter taxi or minibus trip to Khao Lak. All your trips will only be a couple of hours.

@hOOper, If your paying for taxi then It doesn't matter what order your do either.

But if you want cheaper transport, Khao Lak first. There are not many minivans travelling Lak to Krabi, so its best to get that part of the trip over first. You can then easily connect to the more frequent vans in Krabi that head to Lanta.

Then again the cheapest , but not too inconvenient, I can think off is. From Lanta (if you stay in the north) Pink/Green eco bus from Lanta, short pit shop in Krabi and then get dropped off a Klok Kloy. Finally a coach bus (there are lots and you have to like Thai music) up to Khao Lak all for about 300 thb per person.

Still have to account for how many "we" are and if you are a backpack or suitcase person. Where you stay on Lanta is another factor to think about. A hotel in souther part of the island could add another hour onto a van journey, maybe another 1/2 hour for taxi.

Altogether it's not hard to travel between both locations fairy quickly. Taxi is fine, but then coach gives you a bit of height to see the countryside and getting to share a bit of sliced pineapple with a friendly stranger is part of the holiday.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

With respect to Jamie "too expensive" is subjective and each person/party will decide how the cost of one element of their holiday fits into their overall plans and budget and, in particular, how much to pay for a convenient, fuss-free transfer that transports you more quickly, comfortably to your hotel door with as few changes that some of the options from and to Lanta involve.

The overall time it takes will depend on ferry times but "should" be about 5 hours, certainly not a full day. Of course, if you want to make a day of it you can do.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak and/or Ko Lanta

Too expensive compared to the rest of Thailand. I think we both have been visiting Thailand long enough to know there is a little taxi problem in the Phuket and surrounding areas.

As you say "a convenient, fuss-free transfer that transports you more quickly, comfortably to your hotel door" I can't deny that, who could. Taxis are the best option to get there but the least value for money. It`s cheaper to fly from Krabi to Phuket via Bangkok than it is to take a taxi. My return flight from Hong Kong to Phuket is just 100thb more than a taxi from Lanta to Khao Lak. (Taxi prices, Boss wil be a little cheaper). When you think about that then you have to conclude something is not right.

I'll join you in saying they are convent, but even Mr buffet would raise an eyebrow at value, especially when THailand is supposed to be an inexpensive destination for a holiday.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak