We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

Hi, please, has anyone been in Khao Lak in September when the weather is rainy? I would like to have your opinion and to know if it is worthy to go in Thailand, concretely in Khao Lak in September. I have heard that the rains are most heaviest in this period and also that it is not recommended to visit it due to more mosquitos, that not all restaurants and hotels are opened ..and no connection to Similan islands etc is possible in this time. Please, has anyone personal experience to be there in September? Thank you!

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
317 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

We are going in September, we also went in May. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for half decent weather. It will still be hot so the rain won't put us off. The best thing is 2 weeks off work so ! The Similan islands don't open until about the end of October. When we went in May everywhere was very quiet but that is what has made us book again in the rainy season. There were enough restaurants open to keep us going so that shouldn't be a problem.

Have a good trip, Heather.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

Jane S

Everything you have heard is "largely" true but there is usually still enough good weather, many great restaurants open and, a massive attraction, great selection of accommodation (very few closes) often at prices half or less than in High Season to give you a great holiday. There may be more mossies but you should use insect repellent at all times, High or Low Season, in Thailand and most parts of S E Asia because of the risk of Dengue Fever. There also still plenty of trips and tours bookable at very competitive prices.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

Many thanks for your reply! As you have just been there, please, could you also give me any recommendation which places are the best for visit from Khao Lak. Are there any other limits for excursions as you wrote that the Similan Islands would be closed in this period? Thank you!!

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

Thank you very much, Arandora. Are there any other things what to be afraid of in genaral or in September? Or if you have any special recommendations what to see! Many thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

There is nothing in Khao lak that you should be afraid of if he don't forget to pack your mossie repellent and sunscreen, and, most importantly your common sense.

As for Things to Do there will be plenty of tours in and around Khao Lak that will be running in September and that take into account the weather conditions at the time. Go north to Khao Sok National Park, go south to Phang Nga Bay, enoy a shopping trip to Phuket, go and see the turtles on the Navy Base at Tab Lamu just over the mountain towards Phuket, visit a local waterfall are just a few of the things you can see pics of at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

6. Re: Khao Lak, is it risky to go in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations