We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time vistor

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
First time vistor

Hi I hope someone can help me out with some questions I have. My partner and I are going to khao lak in october 24th for 8 nights we are staying at the sands got a good deal my questions are...

1. Will the restraunts on the beach be opened by then?

2. How far are we from them and also how far away are we from the main restraunts and shops?

3. Its my partners 50th while we are there any suggestions what I can organise during the day we both like beach snorkeling and a little adventure e.g white water rafting or if any other ideas would be grateful.

4. A good place to watch a band and have a boogie but as ive just mentioned we arent 18 and would like a place that we dont feel like the grandparents. Lol

5. Any other suggestions would be appeciated good places to eat secluded beaches anything bit of beat and good places to shop.

Thank you in advance and sorry for all the questions.oh one more thing what the weather like mid october hoping to come back with a tan.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time vistor

Hi re your questions:

1. It depends on the weather and the conditions of the beach. Restaurants close and take down much of their structures for the Wet Season as they are attacked by the waves. So they only start to rebuild and refit when they are confident they won't be washed away again. Usually this starts as early as possible in October ready for the next High Season.

2. The beach restaurants are about 15 minutes walk to the right along the beach. The restaurants, cars and shops of Bang Lao On start to the right and opposite immediately from the entrance to the Sands upon the highway.

3. There is no snorkelling from the beaches anywhere along the Khao Lak or indeed entire length of the Andaman coastline. Day trips to the Similan and Surin Islands and Koh Tachai have been allowed to start again from 15th October for the past two or three years and probably will again this year. That said though trips are still susceptible to cancellation if the ocean conditions in October still are rough and dangerous at times. White Water rafting takes place north in Khai Sok National Park or south in between Phuket and Phang Nga City. Local tour operators will provide the tours.

4. Have a look at this Travellers Article for details of Evening Entertainment in Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c202327/Kha…

5. Plenty of information on Things to Do in the Top Question FAQs on the right and the restaurant reviews are very fair and a good guide to the popular eateries.

As for weather October is one of the months with most rainfall but accompanied by sun and heat.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
402 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time vistor

Hi

We have been late October the last 2 years, everything will be open. As Arandora indicated the beach restaurants are a 10-15 min walk from The Sands, they were all open last year when we were there.

Right outside the entrance to The Sands you have Orchid Cafe to the right (great cheap Thai food) and Smile (Thai French fusion) across the road. These two are currently rating in the top 5 restaurants in Khao Lak. There are plenty of other good places to eat in both Bang La On and Bang Niang. The day trips to Similans etc should be running from mid-October.

Dont worry about the weather, if it rains it is never for long and then it dries up in no time.

Have a great holiday, we might just see you there

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time vistor

Thank you so much for your information. Cant wait to get there.

4. Re: First time vistor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak