We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

York
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

Hi all

My partner and I are staying at the JW Marriott on Kao Lak for 10 days from 20th August. I would really appreciate some advice on the following please :

- weather : we know it's the green season and will be wet, but are we likely to get any opportunity to relax & sun bathe or do we need to think about stuff to do every day?

- diving : we are keen to do some scuba diving, and if possible around the Similan Islands, but have read that the ocean can be too rough at this time of year and trips to the Islands stop after May. Is this true? Are there any dive shops you would recommend? We would like to learn (re-learn in my case) while we are there if possible.

- national park visits : any recommendations for trips? We love safaris and would like to see some of the regions wildlife as well as some of the historic / cultural sites

- night markets : we've heard there are night markets in the area, which sounds great. Are they safe? Which are the best ones to go to?

- fun local night out : where would you recommend?

- Phuket : we're thinking we might spend a day and night in Phuket while we're there, for a change of scenery and pace. Any recommendations of where best to stay / eat / drink? My partner and I are lesbian, so any gay bars would be fun, but not essential

Any advice would be gratefully received!! :)

Thanks

Alex & Lynn

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

Hi

Plenty of information that hopefully will help with most of your questions in the Top Question FAQs on the right but some specific comments:

- weather: you should expect sun and rain "usually" in August but how much of each is unpredictable.

- diving: the Similan and Surin National Park Authorities close the islands and surrounding areas for safety and maintenance purposes from mid-May to mid-October so no ocean based trips permitted. Some local Dive Centres, like Sea Dragon, though have their own learner pools. Here's a list of Dive Centres khaolakyellowpages.com/wp/…

- national parks: Khao Lak itself is mostly National Park (Khao Lak Lamru NP) with its HQ and Visitor Centre at the highest point of the highway coming across the mountain from Phuket); the magnificent Khao Sok NP and awesome Cheow Lan Lake is 1 to 2 hours north from Khao Lak (see info on both Khao Lak and Khao Sok at http://www.khaolak.net/np/khao-sok.html ); Ko Phang Nga NP is an hour south of Khao Lak with Phang Nga Bay (home of James Bond Island) being one of Thailand's most wondrous places to visit, even in the Wet Season as it is sheltered. See pics of typical tours and Things to Do in and around Khao Lak at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

- night markets: there are no night markets as such in Khao Lak. However, the very big, very busy and very safe, Bang Niang Market takes place opposite the Police Boat Memorial Site in Bang Niang (well worth a visit while you are there) on three afternoons a week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays) from about 1pm to 7pm for all manner of goods and food, both fresh and "street food" stalls.

- Fun local night out: see Travellers Article at tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c202327/Kha… The Lazy House Bar is a great Live Music Bar, best on Market nights as it is just near the entrance to Bang Niang Market. The newly re-established Monkey Bar and nearby Tarzan bar are very good bars, again with live music late in Bang la On.

- Phuket: Contact Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com as he does shopping and other trips to Phuket and may be able to advise on overnight accommodation. You will probably get more specific recommendations on the Phuket, particularly, Patong forums.

Hope this helps.

Echuca
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

We will also be there at that time so I will be following this post with interest

York
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

Arandora - thank you so much, all that info is hugely helpful and great pics! We will have to get planning!! The market and live music bars sound a must, as well as all the trips. Really looking forward to it.

Just a couple of further questions if you don't mind - Are the Elephant tours still on in August? Is White Sands Beach within walking distance of the JW Marriott?

Many thanks again

L&L

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

Elephant treks, such as Sairung about 20 minutes north of the JWM will be running. Taxi from outside JWM entrance will take you there. On a good day with the tide out it will probably take an hour or so to walk to White Sand Beach. Better to get a taxi.

5. Re: Recommendations of things to do in Kao Lak in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations