We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott or Orchid Beach

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott or Orchid Beach

We have been to Thailand many times but never Khao Lak so would appreciate any advice. I'm looking at either a duplex at JWM or Royal Orchid Suite at Orchid Beach (we usually stay in the 2 bedroom villas at JWM Mai Khao which are amazing - we LOVE Marriotts).

There will be 2 adults / 2 children (9 & 12) and because its October there are great deals on both. Do the grounds / facilities at both properties compare? The room configuration at Orchid Beach looks great (separate bedrooms) but I think the Marriott resort looks better. Is it worth compromising on the room (ie needing rollaway beds at JWM) just to stay there? They won't guarantee inter-connecting rooms so at least in the duplex I am assured we are all in the same place.

All advice gratefully received!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
46 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott or Orchid Beach

Hi there,

I haven't been to the orchid beach so can't comment but I have been to the Marriott a few times & it definitely gets the thumbs up from me. It's about 10 mins by taxi from the town. The grounds are amazing & your children will have a ball, there's plenty to keep them busy, the beach is awesome & the swimming pool is the best pool, they can just swim for miles.

It's gets 10/10 from me 👍

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott or Orchid Beach

The JWM is 5* , the Orchid 4*. The JWM is much bigger with more facilities and more expensive in room cost and food & drinks and Spa. Both are excellent beach locations but JWM has more beach restaurants nearby and some near the main entrance than the Orchid. The JWM is in need of refurbishment of some room types, the Orchid is just finishing its refurb. The Orchid IMO is a well run and excellent value resort. Depends how much you want to spend on the resort as opposed to in and around Khao Lak as I don't think you will be disappointed at either.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott or Orchid Beach

Thank you both - after reading many reviews and watching Youtube clips we've gone with the Marriott. It seems to have the WOW factor that Australian resorts lack - incidentally the prices between JWM & the Orchid were pretty similar at that time of year.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott or Orchid Beach

If you have got a price for JWM similar to booking the Orchid direct I think you have got a very good deal indeed.

5. Re: Marriott or Orchid Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations