We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

Morning Everyone

I have just got a quote back for a day trip to Phang Nga Bay. We are a party of 4 adults and 3 children. The total cost for the day is $510.00. I totally understand the costs of arranging a tour company to take you there but am finding the tour prices for our holiday just getting out of control lol.

I understand we can hire long tail boats privately and do it all ourselves and get a taxi to Phang Nga Bay. Has anyone done this DYI and did you find it cheaper and worthwhile?

Thoughts and experiences would be most appreciated,

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,605 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

Contact Boss at Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak, we've used him for many transfers and local tours, always the best prices and service. Who did you get the $510 quote from, is it gold class?

I usually contact Boss on cheaperkhaolak1@gmail.com tell him how many people you have and what you want to do and also ask for his suggestions.

Good Luck

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,026 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

Contact Nick at followmephuket.com or on his fb page. Speaks very good English and is very obliging to make a day tour to suit your needs. Very decent prices, let him know I sent you he will give you a great deal.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

Thanks guys, will do Shelley

The price was for the phang nga bay tour, canoeing, long tail boat, fishing village and monkey island with return transfers.

It was 2500 baht per adult and 1800 per child.

Don't get me wrong I don't think it is a rip off and understand they are there to make money but couple with phuket and bangkok tours it's surely adding up.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 09:47
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

Have a look in the Top Question FAQs on the right "Any ideas for Self Drive Tours" tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha…

It includes details of how we do this trip, admittedly in a hire car, but you only need to hire a car/mini-bus and driver to the pier near Pjang Nga City and book your longtail boat trip with sea canoe extension if you want yourself. Combine it with a trip to the Monkey Temple on the way back. See pics of this and other tours at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

khao lak
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

hi,also,what age are the kids.a lot of companies do not charge for little ones.a fair price is around 1400b each,free for kids under 5

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

We pay 1400 baht for two adults for the longtail boat trip out to James Bond Island and back calling at Koh Panyee, the floating Muslim Village, on the. Way out or back. Sea canoe with paddler/hiide into the Hongs (caves) and mangroves is extra 400 baht for adults. Plus transport there and back of course.

Mentioned in this post
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,226 Reviews
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

From my research and contacting Boss, I have done some calculations

2800 baht return transport from Centara

2800 baht long tail boat (could be more,just what I have read)

2800 baht for 7 people to canoe

Works out at roughly $280.

Still a lot cheaper than a tour.

My children are 6, 8 and 10 and were quoted 1800 baht for the tour.

I think we will do it ourselves.

khao lak
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

mm,i would wait until you get here.a long tail boat is 1,800b but,do not forget to calculate in the national park fees,the moment you get off the boat at james bond island ,BAM, 400b each,te canoe is ok,but a good driver will show you some nice things from the longtail,bobbing around like a rubber duck in a fair ground for 400b ,and you dont get to paddle,no,too much for too little

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

As I said, a longtail boat cost us 1400 baht. In fact paid 1100 baht per couple when there were 4 of us. Don't get off it at James Bond Island, that is a rip off. Simples! Going inside a Hong flat on your back is a great experience, especially for the kids. Easy enough to organise yourself when you arrive. No need to book anything in advance.

Mentioned in this post
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,226 Reviews
khao lak
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: DIY tour to Phang Nga Bay

hi arandora,mm,i just came back froma tour,the prices have changed,it used to be 1400b or 1500b for the boat,now,they are saying this price is for up to 4 people.for a boat 5 up to a max of 8 people,they are asking 1800b i told the guy,we were just offered 1400b for 7 of us,and he said,i can do that,so,it is still flexible,they will not watch money walk away

Edited: 22 July 2014, 09:32
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak