We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak at Christmas time with kids

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Khao Lak at Christmas time with kids

Hi there, I am trying to book accommodation for 10-14 days over Christmas. We will have a 2 year old and a 2 month old! I am looking at Orchid Beach Resort which looks quite good for the price. Any other reasonably prices family resorts worth looking at? I am a bit confused by all the different beaches/locations etc. Anywhere to avoid? I assume it is better to stay on the beach than in town. TIA!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak at Christmas time with kids

As a full facilities resort, the Orchid Beach is excellent value (particularly with the packages it offers for direct bookings) in an excellent position on beautiful Khuk Khak Beach. It is quite secluded though, which is an attraction to most who stray there, with just a few local restaurants nearby. However, it is only 10-15 minutes by shuttle or taxi into the main townships of Bang Niang (nearest) and Bang La On where most restaurants, bars and shops are to be found.

There are no places to avoid, each beach and resorts on or near it, having their own particular attraction. As Khao Lak is essentially a beach destination, resorts on or adjacent to the beaches are preferred by beach lovers. If you want nearby access to lots of restaurants, bars and shops then Bang Niang Beach and Nang Thong Beach (which is just down the road from Bang La On) are the areas to look for.

On Nang Thong Beach try the Laguna Resort, the Centara Seaview, Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1) and on or just back from Bang Niang Beach, La Flora, Furamar Courtyard, Cousin Resort, Ayara Villas as popular family resorts.

Xmas/New Year is Peak Season and very popular with many resorts fully booked already particularly as Boxing Day this year marks the 10th Anniversary of the dreadful Asian Tsunami that affected Khao Lak so much and there will be a special memorial ceremony at the Tsunami Police Boat Memorial Site in Bang Niang that has attracted many survivors and visitors affected by that dreadful event.

You should also be aware that many resorts, mainly the larger ones, impose a Compulsory Gala Dinner Supplement at Xmas and New Year which you have to pay whether you go the Dinner or not.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Khao Lak at Christmas time with kids

Wow, thank you so much this is so helpful! Thanks for the recommendations on Nang Thong Beach. Do you also have recommendations for family friendly resorts on Bang Niang Beach?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak at Christmas time with kids

As in my reply " and on or just back from Bang Niang Beach, La Flora, Furamar Courtyard, Cousin Resort, Ayara Villas as popular family resorts."

4. Re: Khao Lak at Christmas time with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak