We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak in September or February?

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
72 reviews
Khao Lak in September or February?

Hi guys

I was thinking about going to Thailand in September (Khao Lak). I have never been and after a bit of reading it looks like that September is the rainy season. Is it just small amount of rain or are we talking about non-stop rain? Also it appears that Surin Islands and Similan islands are not accessible during September.

I am not a diver or snorkel. I prefer to see the land and culture. Those islands look spectacular and I would like to visit them but just to chill at the beach kind of thing. I am not a good swimmer.

I have the option of postponing my trip till February, but obviously accommodation prices get high.

Do you think it's best to postpone? is it going to be relatively expensive to visit Surin and Similan islands in February? Your input and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
317 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

Hello, yes the islands are still closed in September as it's still rainy season. Remember its still very warm even when it does rain. It's purely hit and miss as to how wet it will be, thought we have booked for September. I'm not one for sunbathing so the lack of full on sun all the time suits me. Hope you have a great time whenever you go.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

Thanks. I don't sunbathe either. Just want to see the scenery and relax basically. The thing is, I am wondering that if I postpone my trip, then I would find out that getting to those islands would hundreds of pounds. Does anyone have a link to any tour operators so I can have an idea of prices during the high season please?

and hope you have a good trip too!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

February is one of the best months for weather and is not too busy as there is a lull between families with school age children going home after Xmas/New Year and arriving for Easter/Songkran (Thai New Year). So kids that are there are usually pre-schoolers.

Tours to the islands are very competitive and best booked from a tour shop when you arrive as they all use basically the same operators with the exception of some of the bigger operators like Khao Lak Land Discovery (see their site at www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/eng/index.php… )

Typical prices though for a day trip to the Similan Islands, including transfers to and from your resort to the pier in Tab Lamu (about 20-309 minutes depending on where you are staying and any others picked up on the way), lunch on one of the islands, water and soft drinks on the speedboat, masks, snorkel and flippers is about 1800 baht at best, 2400 at most per person. Children less. For Koh Tachai it's about 2000 - 2600 baht and for the Surins about 2800 baht as the pier is over an hour north so transfer cost is higher.

See pics of the various tours via this link tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

Went in February a few years back and weather was sensational.

Cheers Bob.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

Thank you Arandora and Bob. February it is then :)

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

Great decision.

Have a great time in a wonderful place.

7. Re: Khao Lak in September or February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak