We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JRB 16 - 19 MAY Our first trip but not the last

Yzerfontein, South...
Level Contributor
312 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
JRB 16 - 19 MAY Our first trip but not the last

We arrived in Khao Lak on 16 May from Phuket. We used the local bus from Patong Beach to the bus station (40bht each) and the the Takuapa bus (80bht each) right to the entrance of the Sands and the Leaf. We stayed at the Leaf Hotel. Made the reservation on a website that I stumbled across. We were very fortunate to get an excellent rate. Yes Arandora, uou said you would be interested to hear when someone books at this price. Yes we got the price that was advertised. I do not want to quote the website as it might sound like advertising, but if anyone is interested they can PM me. What a lovely place. The pictures you posted on Picasa were exactly as it was. Unfortunately we only stayed 3 days in Khao Lak. This was our first trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first day we had some rain. We took a walk down to the beach via the Sands hotel. We did not know the short cut and strolled right through the Sands. It is a beautiful hotel. Took pictures and went back to the Leaf. The first evening we spent until very late on the balcony. Unfortunately we did not use any insect repellent and guess, I was eaten alive by the mozzies. They did not like hubby's blood. The second night we asked the hotel to spray our room – no problem. The next morning I was up before 7 and went down to the beach for a swim, as I do here at home every morning. The water was very rough and I was alone on the beach. Only had a very short swim and headed back to our hotel. After breakfast, we lazed at the pool until lunch time and then took a stroll to the Bang Niang market. Well now the clouds came over, and fortunately we had plastic rain coats covering our camera etc. It was quite a walk but pleasant. We went to the Police Boat and took lots of pictures. Then to the Bang Niang market. Unfortunately with the rain it was not too pleasant. Had a bite to eat - from spring rolls to chicken. We then decided to walk back via the beach. I researched al the maps Arandora posted. I also checked the tides, that we could walk all the way and walk across the river between Bang Niang and Nang Thong Beach. We walked all the way back in the rain – the best is that it is hot and not a cold rain like here back home. We had an early evening, as the sun took it out of us in the morning and then the long walk. The following day after breakfast we took a walk up to the Laguna Hotel and walked back via the beach again. The sand in Khao Lak at the Nang Thong Beach made us think of our Eastern Coast in South Africa (yellow sand). The sand here in Yzerfontein on the West Coast is white sand. Unfortunately I could not have another swim in the ocean, as the sea was too rough. We walked past all the hotels and we were very happy with the choice we made to stay at the Leaf. I had a few more swims in the pool at the Leaf. We had most of our meals at the Leaf. We also tried the little stall just outside the Leaf to the left with papaya salad and off course lots of fresh fruit – huge bunches of bananas and mango's. To die for all the fresh fruit. Our last morning we returned with the bus again at the entrance of the hotel. We just flagged it down. Our return trip seemed much shorter, do not know if it stopped less, but it was a pleasant trip. We traveled on a budget but stayed at a luxury resort. I will post a review on the hotel. Made use of local transport to experience the locals. Walked miles and just loved everything. The scenery to and from Khao Lak made us think of the Garden Route in South Africa. Thank you to Arandora for all your invaluable information and all my PM to you. Your prompt replies were greatly appreciated. Thank you also to all the other TA contributors. Without research on TA this trip would not have been such a success. We want to return to Khao Lak but for a much longer period and explore the other beaches to the north. In our opinion we could compare Khao Lak to Bali, the same quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Until next time.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JRB 16 - 19 MAY Our first trip but not the last

Great JBR. You certainly made most of your short stay in Khao Lak and look forward to your next JBR when you return from a long one! :-)

No problem in posting links to booking websites - as long as you don't own the company! LOL One of strengths of TA is sharing where you pick up bargain bookings.

Yzerfontein, South...
Level Contributor
312 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JRB 16 - 19 MAY Our first trip but not the last

Thanks Arandora, We used loyaltyhotels.com for our reservations at the Leaf. It was the lowest quote. Much lower than requesting a quote direct from the hotel.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JRB 16 - 19 MAY Our first trip but not the last

It's not unusual for direct bookings to be higher as many/most hotels are committed to on-line agencies and cannot undercut their rates. When we were in Khao Lak in January I went to the Leaf to get rates for a friend and previous guest there for next December who had been told by the resort by Email that they were fully booked. When I queried this Reservations admitted that the resort was not fully booked but all rooms had been allocated to external agencies and they could not accept direct bookings. My friend had to book on-,line at best rate he could get, which was higher than that published on the Sands website.

I'm pleased and relieved that the site you booked through delivered as there have been doubts expressed about it posted previously. Certainly I know from the owner of one hotel in Khao Lak that it has no relationship with this company despite it being advertised as a Special Promotion with Free Nights and offering accommodation when the resort is closed. Happily you had no problems.

4. Re: JRB 16 - 19 MAY Our first trip but not the last

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations