We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone there now?

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone there now?

And can update on how things are? Leaving for khao lak in 2 weeks, I don't imagine curfew will affect us too much coz we hadn't planned on being out much later than 10 while in KL anyway but just wondering how things are otherwise?

Mornington...
Level Contributor
178 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone there now?

Yes here now and no sign of any trouble as yet. I read phuket news on net and no mention of anything other than curfew and schools closed for a few days. Curfew not a problem for me either. My first time in khao lak and it really is a lovely place so I hope nothing happens to change that. Sometimes news hits home before we get it over here.

Cheers

khao lak
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone there now?

i live here,my families safety is paramount,i dont see anything to make me worried.the press will do that,scare tactics.if you want any updates just ask,as of now,kids off school until monday,bars close 10 pm,just like a sunday in the uk

Bowral, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone there now?

Perfect thanks guys much appreciated keep is updated if any changes 😊

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone there now?

Andy,

Just for information other than the Daily Mail (surprise, surprise) whose report today was both inaccurate (said curfew was from 8pm not 10pm) and as usual sensationalised, the reporting, all media, over here has been as accurate and as responsible as I have seen on-line both at home, from Thai news media and other countries.

I really hope this does not start a spate of hysterical, repetitive questions as on other forums. I think Khao Lak Lovers are far more sensible!

To keep in touch with things generally throughout Thailand follow the most recent posts in these two links:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k7…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k7…

as well as, of course, your own government's travel advisories.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone there now?

In response to your comments, Alan re KL members are more sensible, they are also more respectful, polite and friendly. I was totally shocked at some of the comments I read yesterday on the bkk forum. I was one who reported a couple of posts as I found them totally out of order and offensive. I understand people get impatient but there is no need whatsoever for rude and offensive postings.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone there now?

You should have seen the threats, yes threats, I received by PM just because I dared to correct someone's factually incorrect post. Sadly there are some people, no that's unfair, one in particular, on the Bangkok Forum who spends more time sniping at others and generally causing disruption instead of using their local knowledge to try and calm the worries of anxious visitors.

I agree that repetitive questions from people who obviously haven't read previous replies are annoying and I've done my fair share of saying so buit some of the replies were completely OTT.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone there now?

Repetitive questions from people who haven't read previous replies is forgivable, it happens, but some of the vindictive posts by that particular person is not on.

At the end of the day you use your knowledge of spending plenty of time in Thailand to help fellow travellers, you have helped my wife and I enjoy our last two visits by giving sound advice. You don't have to do that, you do it to help people and I for one was grateful for your advice. Keep up the good work (from a fellow Lancastrian, ha ha) !!

Edited: 24 May 2014, 01:45
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone there now?

Cheers. I really appreciate that.

UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone there now?

This might be a really stupid question but are there any timescales on how long this is likely to last? More the curfew than the whole thing.

Jan x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone there now?

Ask that on Bangkok forum, light touchpaper and retire quickly!

I don't think the Military know the answer to that!!!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak