We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

khao lak merlin resort area

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
khao lak merlin resort area

i am seriously considering a couple of weeks here in september.

my main questions at this time are,

is it best to go half board/full board or are there enough decent restaurants bars nearby?

what is the average price of a meal/drinks locally per person?

is there any public transport close by and where does it go?

it looks lovely and all the reports are very positive just want to see what there is close by as dont want to pay the extra for half board and find i could eat locally for half the price with twice the experience

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

The area back from Khao Lak (South) Beach , Khao Lak's original beach area and the location of the Merlin, has developed very nicely in recent years and now has a number of restaurants, bars and small shops/mini-marts with a few more on the highway. For more, you are only a 10 minute shuttle/taxi ride over the mountain ride into the main township of Bang la On. So Half-Board and certainly Full-Board are not warranted.

Typical prices in a local Thai restaurant are starter 80-100 baht, main 100-150 baht(full fish and tiger prawns by weight), small beer 60-80 baht, large 100-150 baht, glass of wine 100-150 baht, cocktails 99-150 baht, fresh fruit shake/juice 40-60 baht.

Highway 4 which runs through Khao Lak is the main route from Bangkok in the north to the Malaysian border in the south with buses on that route and also from Takua Pa to Phuket running every half hour. There is no local bus service as such but popular destinations for these services are Phuket to the south and as far as Khao Sok National Park to the north. There are tour offices near the Merlin where you can book tours that are running at the time.

Here are pics of Khao Lak Beach and the adjacent beautiful and unspoiled Poseidon Beach taken between late last November and the end of March https:/…

and here pics of the Merlin courtesy of member WazAustralia who stayed there a short time ago https:/…6014333288849815777 and https:/…6014376383233452017

Hope this helps.

U.K
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

Please don't hesitate to book this hotel, I too was worried about near by restaurant etc but there is more than enough to choose from, also like Arandora has said you are only 10 minutes away from the main area if you wish to go for a change.

I personally preferred the area around the Merlin the village had a lovely friendly feel to it I did not partially like the main highway found it a little to busy.

You definitely only need B&B.

Hope this helps Eve.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
317 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

Sorry to jump in here but I was talking to one of the beach restaurant owners last night next to the Sentido and he said that the Merlin are building a new hotel here on Bang Sac beach next to the Sentido. Any idea if there is any truth in this Arandora? It would be good for the locals but on a purely selfish level I love this quite beach.

Regards Heather.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

Not heard that but wouldn't surprise me. Bang Sak Beach is certainly earmarked for further development with the Royal Bang Sak Beach Resort at the southern end being closed this time last year and currently under major redevelopment with adjacent land also scheduled for a new resort. Pak Weeb Beach and Bang Sak Beach were called the Platinum Coast with this development halted by the 2008 economic crisis. Seems as though it's now started again.

Vierumaki, Finland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

Hello,

Sorry to jump into this conversation, but i'm about to go there at September and i'm interested to know how well different kind of tours are running at September? I've read that snorkling tours to similan are closed during september, do you know is that true?

Do shops and restaurants stay open during september at merlin resort area?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

The Similan and Surin Islands are closed from 15th May to 15th October. Other tours to places like Phang Nga Bay and Khao Sok National Park will be running as well as others. There are tour shops near the Merlin which will have details. Plenty restaurants and shops stay open near the Merlin and many more across the mountain road into Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak.

7. Re: khao lak merlin resort area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations