We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is it now there

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How is it now there

Hello. We are in Samui and really want to see Surin island (if there is time also similan island). I believe best would be to stay in Khao Lak and take day trips. Is anyone there who can confirm these trips are still on? Seeing the weather forecast - how is the sea and will we get plenty of sunshine or not the the best time to go there?

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is it now there

According to the respective websites the Surins closed at the end of April and the Similans will close on 15th May mainly for safety reasons as the ocean is very unpredictable over the Wet Season and the speedboat trip too dangerous. Even when open at this time tours are prone to cancellation at very short notice because of adverse sea conditions. Best weather in Khao La is during the Dry Season, November to April.

South Australia
Level Contributor
352 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is it now there

Sea is dead calm and saw a vessel or two heading to islands this morning.

hot and still until about 3 then thunderstorms with little rain definitely not surfing conditions

Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is it now there

We went to book on Friday an were told last trips were on Sunday, being yesterday. We did similian and must say at some stops where it was just the boat dropping anchor the currents were to strong for many people to attempt to snorkel,I even had trouble with a simple jump off the boat to cool down and trying to get back to it I did start to panic, I m not a strong swimmer. Went to 2 different spots and saw no turtles due to the currents. All in all unless you are a fantastic swimmer and are prepared to possibly not see much except on the first stop which leaves the rest of the day as a let down I would pass, sure wish we had saved our baht!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is it now there

Thanks very much for helpful feedbacks. We have decided to pass Khao Lak and trips to the islands and staying in Samui for 2 more nights. Apparently situation is better on Phuket where we are heading next. Does anyone know whether trips to Phi Phi are still available?

Again thanks to everyone above.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is it now there

Not sure what "situation is better on Phuket". There may be more visitors at certain parts of Phuket but the season is the same as Khao Lak for weather, trips to Similans and Surins are still not available and although you can go to Phi Phi the trip is likely to be very rough and uncomfortable. Choose a good operator as safest is the main criteria not cheapest. Phang Nga Bay is a safer and more comfortable option but you can do that from Khao Lak also.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phi Phi The Beach Resort
Phi Phi The Beach Resort
1,625 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,606 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is it now there

Yeah I meant that they're still doing trips to some islands and weather is apparently quite good there. When I saw the weather website it shows storms and rains all over the west coast but someone from Phuket confirmed that it is usually a short storm and then it clears out - might be same in Khao Lak but the main reason for Khao Lak were trips to Surin and Similian. There is no doubt that Khao Lak visit would be worth as we'll but we are just tight with time.

Thank you for feedback

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
7. Re: How is it now there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak