We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Western Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

With 16 days to go, we are hanging out to return to Thailand.

Can anyone me know what to expect of the beach & restaurants close to Mai Khao lak resort. Are you to get massages on the beach or will we need to head into town?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Beach restaurants to close for the Wet Season from about now onwards. There is a whole row of them and massage places either side of the Mai. It will depend on the weather and in particular high tide lines as to how long they remain open. Some will trade as long as they are able to. There are two or three restaurants on the highway which are best found by walking up the beach road to the left from the Mai until it comes to the highway where they are across the road. To the right there past the entrance to the Beyond Resort the owners of the Elicious Restaurant (one of best near the Mai and arguably in Khao Lak) are just completing an "Elicious 2" restaurant ready for the end of April. If there are no massage places open by the beach it is about 20 minutes to Bang Niang, 25 minutes to Bang la On where there are plenty.

Here are pics of the beach either side of the Mai https:/…

Western Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Thanks Arandora :) I am a bit anxious about being really isolated & nothing being open but if they are, a 20 minute drive is nothing.

God I wish we were there now :)

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Hi, we arrive at the Mai on Wednesday. They have a free shuttle also. I think the last one is in the afternoon but you could catch it in to town then taxi back. I will can let you know what's open etc near by when we arrive :-) ( depending on internet availability).

Western Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Awesome! Hope you have a fantastic trip :-)

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Here now and only a few things closed on the beach. Still plenty of choice :-)

Western Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

Thanks for the update. Only a week to go! Have a great trip :-)

7. Re: Mai Khao Lak & surrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations