We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap - Expensive - Fun

Leeds, United...
7 posts
1 review
Cheap - Expensive - Fun

I have booked a trip to Khao Lak in June this year for 10 days. We will be staying the the JW Marriot. I have read nothing but good news about this hotel\resort which builds to the excitement. This will be our 1st trip to Thailand, although friend and family have been to the Pataya and surrounding areas tehy have all said they have had a good time.

So my question is, for those who have stayed at JW Marriot, what were your thoughts on this resort?

How expensive/inexpensive is it in Khao Lak?

How much spending money do you recommend for a 10 day trip. I do like the odd drink but nothing heavy. My wife like a cocktail here and there and my daughter is too you, 2.

I have read some reviews on the restaurants there, but any recommendations?

How far are the markets for shopping/snacks etc from the resort?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

"How expensive/inexpensive is it in Khao Lak?" - typical Thai meal prices per person: starter 80-100 baht; main (chicken, pork, beef, prawn, veggie stir fry or curry) 100-150 baht; beer small 60-80 baht, large 100-150 baht; glass of wine 100-150 baht; fresh fruit smoothie 50-80 baht; cocktail 99-150 baht.; water 10-20 baht.

"I have read some reviews on the restaurants there, but any recommendations?" - it is uncertain whether any of the restaurants adjacent to the JWM will be open. It depends on weather and beach conditions. However, you have a good selection of ones that do remain open away from the beaches in Bang Niang about 15 minutes by shuttle/taxi (our particular favourites including Siam, Mali, Rusty Pelican, Bavaria House, Sawasdee Seafood, Khao Niau, Dao Thong and Hill Tribes) and Bang La On 5-10 minutes further on ( our favourites and others regularly recommended Smile, Orchid Café, Tiffy's Café, Khao Lak Seafood, Khung Seafood, Busabba, Mojo, Everyday)

"How far are the markets for shopping/snacks etc from the resort?" - there is a small mini mart near the main entrance to the resort plus a Thai and an Italian restaurant. Most shops and large supermarkets are in Bang La On and there is a large three afternoons a week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays) market in Bang Niang opposite the Police Boat Tsunami Memorial site.

Tuncurry
6 posts
2. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

Arandora

I was just about to ask very Similiar Questions Re: a Stay at the JW Marriott for the First week of November.. Do you think the restaurants and massage tents not run by the resort be re-open by then,

also would there be a Bar of some kind within walking distance to the marriott to have a drink in the evening..

And lastly would you happen to know what to expect to pay for transport to Bang Niang and Bang la On.. Is maybe car hire a good option .

Dont mean to overun the OP's original questions, but thought we could use the same answers

Thanks

ps Arandora your knowledge of the area has made my selecting process so much easier

Edited: 16 April 2014, 07:50
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

Hi

Although it is not clear whether the relocation of the beach properties will have been completed either in part or in whole by the start of the new High Season in November I would expect that the ones that have remained open during this one coming to an end would re-open usually about mid-October. You can have just drinks here whether you have a meal or not.

Here is a copy of a board showing typical taxi rates from a stand near the beach in Bang Niang to various places walagata.com/w/…Taxi_Prices_2012-13.jpg Rates to and from Bang La On will be a bit more.

Car hire offers a great option if you want to get out and about. It offers greater flexibility as to when you want to go to other places and accessibility to other areas in and around Khao Lak, especially those off the normal tour routes. Have a look at the Top Question FAQs on the right about Transport & Transportation, especially the ones on Ideas for Self-Drive tours at tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha… and very importantly the one on Licence Requirements at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail… You can hire locally after you arrive with Budget or Hertz through an agency (we use Budget through the Smile restaurant at http://www.smilekhaolak.com/index.html) or through the hotel.

Hope this helps.

Leeds, United...
7 posts
1 review
4. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

Arandora, thanks for the reply. A good heads up on some eateries.

Regarding spending money, how much would you recommend for a nice stay without having to penny pinch. I tend to take more than what I need. I was thinking £1500 for 10 days. Is that too too much or about right?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

£1500 = £150 = approx 7500 baht a day. Allow 1500 baht for lunch and dinner inc 1 large beer + 1 glass wine (less for soft drinks, smoothies or water) leaves 6000 baht for more expensive meals (like pizzas!!!! Steaks) and a decent bottle of Wine (400 - 800 baht depending on restaurant) - South African Mont Clair is most popular- drinks at bars and tours (say 2500 baht each on average) and you should have plenty. Shopping in Khao Lak is mainly touristy stuff but you should have enough to go on a day shopping trip with Boss taxis to Phuket.

Enjoy!

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
1 review
6. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

JW Marriott is a very good hotel. But be prepared, that the wifi is lousy in your room. But very good in the lobby and other shared places at the hotel. The location is very quiet, and I was happy that we had a car, so we could find places to eat.

We were not impressed with the quality of food at the restaurants in Khao Lak. A lot of thai food, that was made for tourist, but didn't taste much like authentic thai food.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

J Dennis out of interest which part of Khao Lak and which restaurants are you referring to? There are about 170 restaurants in Khao Lak and it is rather a sweeping statement to classify them all in the way you have.

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
1 review
8. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

We were both in Khao Lak "city" and also the ones near the market at the Tsunami Memorial Park. And even when we found the small ones, that looked local, and where only thai people were eaten, we were quite disappointed. I have been to many great restaurants at other places in the Phang Nga province.

In the city of Khao Lak, I think it was all tourist traps. But that is only my opinion.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

It would still be interesting to know the names of the restaurants you are referring to as my wife and I don't share your view entirely - but we and others may have different tastes!

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
1 review
10. Re: Cheap - Expensive - Fun

Yes that was also what I wrote. That it was just my opinion. I can't remember the names. But we ate at a crappy cafe, that was next to the Leaf Hotel. And also a restaurant, that was next to the Tsunami Memorial Park. Both very boring, and didn't serve what I will call thai food. We also ate at the restaurant on the beach, just next to JW Marriott. Ok food, but no spices are used.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak