We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
316 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Hello all, we have just booked our first trip to Khao Lak. We have been to Thailand 10 times now but never here. We are staying at the Sentido Graceland in May. I know it's a bit out of the way but I have read the hotel does have free transport into Khao Lak itself. Does anyone have any information on times etc? Also we need some advice on return transfers from Phuket airport to the hotel. I have read info on Boss Taxi but not sure about current pricing for return journey for 2 people. Any ideas? Do they have a website or email address? Also we will need to get some money exchanged at some point, is there anything round the hotel or will we need to get into town? What are the facilities in the airport like for currency exchange (we won't be landing until 20.00 ) . Also any information on restaurants near the hotel or 7/11's.

Sorry about all the questions but now we've booked it got all these questions and I know I'll get the answers from my trusted trip advisor community. Any other tips will be great.

Thanks for all your replies.

Heather.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
SENTIDO Graceland Khao Lak Resort & Spa
SENTIDO Graceland Khao...
1,591 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
516 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,400 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Hi Heather,

Gracelands is the furthest north of all Khao Lak Resorts, being about 20-25 minutes by shuttle or taxi from the two main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On respectively. Sorry don't know times of shuttle but if you contact the resort through its Facebook page at https:/… I'm sure they will give you details.

Here are Boss's latest rates walagata.com/w/…Boss_Prices_October_2013..jpg

and here tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

His contact is cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Here are are taxi rates from Bang Niang which will be not much more from Bang La On walagata.com/w/…Taxi_Prices_2012-13.jpg

No ATMs or money exchange in the immediate vicinity so I would ask the driver to call off in Bang La on as you are passing through and use an ATM there. There are plenty of them. Money exchanges tend to close about 9 or 10 pm

Whether beach restaurants and those on Bang Sak Promenade to the left are open depends on the weather.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
316 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Thanks for the info Arandora. I have had a message from boss taxi and it's 2800 Baht for 2 people return from hotel to airport. I was quite stunned at how expensive than was. We must have been spoilt with Pattaya prices these last couple of years. 1900 Baht for about the same journey. Anyway doesn't seem like we have much choice. Have read all the reviews on here about the hotel but has anyone who has stayed there got anything else we should know?

Thanks again for any replies, Heather.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,400 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

2800 baht for a return journey is I think the best you will get. As per his rates list in #17 at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

A taxi from the airport or the resort will cost a lot more.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
316 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Thanks Arandora. I think we will have to book with Boss taxi. We are just hoping the weather is going to be ok but as we know this is very hit and miss to try and predicted these days.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,400 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Well at least Gracelands has its own 10 pin Bowling Alley to keep you occupied "if" it rains. :-)

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
316 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Hello, which is the main area? Is it Bang Niang or Bang La On?Also someone mentioned something about a pier, how far is that away from the Sentido? What is there? Getting a bit concerned now as it feels we will be quite isolated with nothing open around us. Thanks for any information. Heather.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,400 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

Hi Heather

The main township in terms of number of restaurants and shops and where more stay open in the Wet Season is Bang La On. Bang Niang is less than 10 minutes north up the highway, with a lesser number of restaurants but more choice of cuisine and more bars but less busy in the Wet Season. Bang Niang is also the location of the large three afternoons a week, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, market.

There are two piers often referred to, the nearest being at Tab Lamu which is about 30 minutes south back over the mountain towards Phuket from Gracelands and is the main departure point for day tours, dive tours and liveaboards to the Similan Islands and Koh Tachai. The other is at Kuraburi which is about an hour north from Gracelands and is the departure point for tours to the Similan Islands. Both are major fishing ports but other than tour shops and a small café there is nothing of tourist interest at the piers.

However, there are things to do at Tab Lamu, a visit to the Turtle Sanctuary on the Royal Navy Base (where there is also a golf course open to the public), there is a lovely large temple nearby on the highway and there is raft riding on the river across and down from the highway at Komol's Corner. If you have a look at this link to some Self-Drive tour ideas and in particular those South of Khao Lak, you will see these suggestions in more detail tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha… You don't need to hire a car to do this, contact Boss to hire a car and driver for this and other tours at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
8. Re: First trip to Khao Lak - Sentido Graceland.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak