We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3G SIM card for Khao Lak

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
3G SIM card for Khao Lak

Hi,

I am travelling to Khao Lak in April for a week and am looking for recommendations on a prepaid SIM card with internet (ideally 3G). Does anyone have any recommendations? I am particularly interested in coverage for TrueMobile in this region.

Thanks,

J

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

I use an AIS prepaid 12Call monthly package which gives good 3G coverage. You can get a weekly package also. You can get a Free True SIM card on arrival at Phuket Airport and upgrade it to a weekly Internet package.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

Thanks for responding. I wasn't sure if AIS had good 3G coverage there - when I was last in Thailand around 3 years ago there was little 3G (2G coverage was good - but only GPRS speeds).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

3G is good and often faster and more reliable than my TOT Internet connection in our bungalow. On the same way that 3G was announced when it was still only 2G, the claimed 4G coverage in Phuket is only 3G as the 4G phones are not yet available.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

Thanks for that - I was curious about the claims for 4G and suspected it might not be too great.

Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
5. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

Thanks for your post. Would you happen to know where in the airport exactly I could find this?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

Straight after you clear Immigration you go to the luggage carousels and there is a stand on your left, usually with staff giving them out. If no staff they used to leave them on the stand for you to take.

7. Re: 3G SIM card for Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2015, 10:46