We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I hold off my trip?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Should I hold off my trip?

My husband and I have even planning our honeymoon, and had decided on a week or so in Cambodia, then a lovely romantic stay in Khao Lak (at the Sarojin) for the real honeymoon part of our trip.

However, reading some of the forums, I'm a bit worried we've chosen the wrong time - June/July. We have travelled all over the world and have seen plenty of wet seasons, which doesn't bother us, but I'm concerned that there won't be any tours running and limited restaurants open at that time? We would ideally like to get out and about, especially snorkelling and diving, and we love eating out at different places. Might another time of year suit us better to travel to Khao Lak?

What might we expect if we do continue planning for a mid rainy season trip? Thanks :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,203 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I hold off my trip?

Yes, June/July is the wrong time really for Khao Lak, the weather can be touch and go but the sea conditions can get very rough so no swimming or boat tours. You could look at going to the east coast instead around Koh Tao where the weather and sea conditions are better.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I hold off my trip?

Sorry to disagree entirely with my esteemed colleague Cassnu, unless snorkelling from Khao Kak is an absolute must there is still plenty to do in June/July and even Wet Season weather is not guaranteed to be wet and it will still be hot and there should still be plenty of sun. Have a look at the Top Question FAQs on the right on Things to Do and in particular the one about The Wet Season in Khai Lak. You can be sure there will still be plenty of tours operating, including south to the awesome Phang Nga Bay where you will be able to enjoy snorkelling with the likes of Phuket Sail Tours and north to the wonderful Khao Sok National Park and Cheow Lan Lake. You can be sure that also the Sarojin will be offering some of its own unique tours like "Breakfast with the elephants".

You should also bear in mind if considering changing to an East Coast destination that you will have to pay a lot more for the luxury standard of the 5* Sarojin, the price of which you are paying reflects much lower Low Season prices in Khao Lak than comparable, if you can get it, accommodation in the Gulf.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,203 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I hold off my trip?

No problem Arandora, you do know Khao Lak better than most, but I have seen photos of pretty choppy seas around Khao Lak during that time, so I guess if perfect, crystal clear oceans are a must right off the beach it wouldn't be the place to head, but for the other activities it seems ok.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I hold off my trip?

Crystal clear waters or snorkelling from them are not present along Khao Lak's beaches in the Dry Season because of the constant movement of the water so as I said if that is the main criteria then they should be weighed against the other factors I mentioned.

5. Re: Should I hold off my trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak