We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road detours on road to phuket yesterday evening

melbourne
Level Contributor
268 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
road detours on road to phuket yesterday evening

Yesterday i was travelling back from phuket to khao lak at 5pm and our driver was directed on a detour at a large town which took us an extra hour for the trip. I was told this was due to a protest. As we are travelling back to phuket airport on tuesday afternoon i am a little concerned allowing sufficient travel time. Are these delays a regular occurrence?

We have booked our transfer for 2pm for a 4.50pm domestic flight.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road detours on road to phuket yesterday evening

Just shows how little Thai drivers operating outside their normal boundaries know, particularly Phuket based ones. The large town you are referring to is probably Thai Mueang where the annual Turtle Festival has been on from 1st to 10th March. As after the first day when the turtles are released the rest of the Festival is a large market and fair which starts about 4pm and carries on until after midnight and weekend is the most popular time for Thais from all over to visit, the snarl up and diversion will be due to this. 5pm will have been just about peak time. We were delayed on our return from a shopping trip in our car but about 8.30pm when the diversions had been taken away and you just had o get through the normal chaos when the junction down to the beach road is busy and the part-time traffic signals are not on. Nothing to do with protests at all and the festival will be over then so you will have no problems with your ttravel times.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road detours on road to phuket yesterday evening

I may have been premature in suggesting that the diversion was due to crowds going to the Turtle Festival at Rhai Nueang and not a protest and also unfair to the taxi driver. There was in fact a protest at that time that caused a diversion and not a political one which I thought it meant but in fact a blockade by local villagers of a stretch of road near to them notorious for high speed accidents. Full story at phuketwan.com/tourism/…

More power to their protest if something is done about the maniacal driving on that and other roads leading to, through and from Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
3. Re: road detours on road to phuket yesterday evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 09:50