We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Norwich
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Car Hire

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for those who contribute to this forum. I often refer to Tripadvisor ahead of a trip (it’s always good to get inside tips and experience on where I’m going!) but this forum appears to stand out by offering the most useful and considered advice! Some of you clearly know Khao Lak in some detail and I really appreciate you giving up your time to share the wealth.

My main question is relating to car hire. Has anyone used the following firm? I’ve emailed them asking for a quotation however thus far I’ve no reply. http://www.khaolaknewcarrent.com/index.html. If yes, are they okay?

Second question is, do I really need to pre-book or am I likely to be able to get a car with a days notice? I’m coming to Khao Lak on 16 April for just shy of 3 weeks, wanting car hire for the middle chunk. I’m staying at Apsara; I’ve not read of any car hire places within close proximity to the hotel….?

I’m being a bit tight and don’t have any desire to hire a new car, therefore the Suzuki Jeep would be absolutely fine.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Dashughes

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Car Hire

Hi

The link you gave doesn't work. In any event I suspect it is a variant of other "screen scraper" car hire websites like Phuketnewcarrent (made up by me) that just source cars from other sites. There is certainly no such car hire outfit in Khao Lak. In fact there are three offices in Khao Lak, Budget (who we rent through and whose franchise owner is Smile Restaurant - see http://www.smilekhaolak.com/rental.html - they deliver and pick up from wherever you want. Vehicles are sourced from the depot at Phuket Airport), Hertz (same as Budget, local office in Khao Lak but vehicles sourced from Phuket Airport Depot) and a local outfit I have just seen on the highway just outside Bang Niang but appears to me have only 1 car which might be a private rather than hire car - take care!)

Another reason for querying the site you quoted and its link to Phuket is your mention of a Suzuki Jeep. You don't see these on hire in Khao Lak as they are usually hired by some Phuket based outfits, are very old and "well used" , not suitable for long distances and the hirer does not allow them to be taken off the island because of potential breakdown and recovery costs. An open top in the fierce heat of April with potential thunderstorms isn't really advisable anyway.

Although cheaper Phuket based outfits either only quote for pick up and return o Phuket or, if they will quote at all, charge very high one way pick up fees. If you know the dates you want I would either book in advance through Budget or Hertz or wait until you arrive and do so but availability of vehicles locally nay be an issue if you do the latter.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Car Hire

There is also a hertz office in khao lak. So getting different quotes might also be a good idea. Last time I was there I came across it by accident, also the chap at the desk didn't speak much English and we had rented from budget already.

Regards

Angela

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Car Hire

I did say there was a Hertz office in Khao Lak in my reply. It is located going south on the highway from the Police Boat in Bang Niang but rentals are organised and sourced through Phuket whether booked there or on-line or through hotels or other outlets.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Car Hire

Hi Arandora, is it safe for UK tourists to hire cars in Thailand. We have heard a number of horror stories regarding accidents and the excess costs being very high. Would you recommend having a car in KL? We are visiting in August. What places would you recommend going yo see? Thanks in advance for your information

Norwich
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Car Hire

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. Point taken Arandora; I'll stop being so tight and look to Budget or Hertz instead.

The next 6 weeks can't pass soon enough!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Car Hire

Annalp82

Hiring a car can be a very rewarding experience. It gives the flexibility to go where you want when you want and the accessibility to go to places the popular tours don't go to. However, you need to be a confident driver and be very much aware of what is going on around you at all times, especially motorbikes/scooters whether driven by Thais or perhaps especially by foreigners.

Please, if you haven't done so read the Top Question FAQs on the right:t:

* "Driving Licence Requirements" tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

* "SOME SELF-DRIVE TRIPS" based on trips we have done over the years in our hire car tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha…

This is also a good guide to Driving in Thailand http://driving-in-thailand.com/

We rent our car through Budget via Smile Restaurant as explained in my reply #1. Although rates are more expensive they include Full Insurance with no CDW or excess, the only extra being optional Personal Accident Insurance if you don't have it or you think the amount is not enough. Their service is superb, whether it is an accident like the one last year caused by a drunken Thai crashing into us (local rep was on the spot in 5 minutes and took care of everything and delivered replacement car next morning) or a breakdown like only last Saturday when I left my headlights on while we went shopping in Phuket Town and car wouldn't start on our return ours later.

Excess on local (i.e. hired from Phuket or Phuket Airport) is generally 5,000 baht or 10,000 baht plus optional CDW of varying amounts.

Hope this helps.

Norwich
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Car Hire

Hi all,

Sorry, I have another question! It's not related to my car question but I wasn't sure whether better to take my own post off-topic or clog up the main forum! If the latter, please advise and I'll split accordingly.

The cost of living - more specifically, eating out. I'm staying at Apsara and imagine I would be eating away from the hotel for all meals other than breakfast. What, roughtly, is the cost for eating out - say somewhere like Memories?

We're just trying to gauge how much money to bring with us.

Thanks as always.

Dashughes/

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Car Hire

It would be better if you don't mind to start a new topic. People with knowledge of your question might not consider a topic about Car Hire. Incidentally there have been similar recent questions about cost of eating out in Khao Lak which the Search function will find for you which might mean you don't have to start another topic anyway.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 21:02
9. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 10:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak