We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose please

swansea, uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help me choose please

I have spent ages looking at hotels and have come up with 4, prices all similar, the orchid being slightly cheaper. We are going this Easter.

Sensimar

Ocean breeze resort

Khaolak oriental resort

Khaolak orchid beach resort

We would like to be walking distance to bars, shops, restaurants etc. I know the orchid isn't but is looks lovely. Does anyone know how much they charge for their shuttle into the town? Also the oriental I noticed is set back a block from the beach, does that mean they don't have free sunbeds on the beach?

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Breeze Resort
Ocean Breeze Resort
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort
Khaolak Orchid Beach...
561 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose please

Can't comment on the others we always stay at the orchid. There are a couple of free shuttles each day otherwise they charge 50b each person each way.

There is a great restaurant at the blue lagoon next door about half the price of the orchids own restaurant. We had a car this time so eating out and getting supplies was easy!

This year was our 6th stay at the orchid and it was hard to leave.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose please

As far as I am aware the Oriental does not have sun loungers on the beach. There is a row of restaurants on the beach up past the Sands then the La Own resorts about a 20 minute walk that have free loungers if you dine there. The Ocean Breeze is just across the beach road and does, as do the Adult Only Sensimar which is located on the border of Sunset and Nang Thong Beaches and right at the entrance to Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak, with most restaurants bars and shops. The Oriental and Ocean Breeze are just down the road from the centre of Bang La On. Shuttle/taxi from the Orchid Beach takes about 10/15 minutes to Bang Niang/Bang La On.

The Orchid is great value especially if it is the cheaper of the options you are considering and best of them IMO.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Breeze Resort
Ocean Breeze Resort
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose please

You might be a little way out of town , but the Orchid I think will be the most pleasant

Ocean Breeze last,.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Ocean Breeze Resort
Ocean Breeze Resort
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
swansea, uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose please

Reading all your comments and looking online I really like the orchid. But, although they also offer a package which includes a free shuttle several times a day into khao lak, I don't know if my husband will be bored. He likes to go for a walk in the day, can you walk along the beach to nang thong beach and the town? If so how long would it take, or along roads.

My second choice would be the Sensimar, but after a week in busy Patong I wanted an idyllic beach and looking at the photos the beach doesn't look anywhere as nice as at the orchid, rocky and not much sand where the sunbeds are provided. How long does it take to walk to the town from the Sensimar. Is Khao Lak the main town. Is nang thong a nicer beach? Closer to the town?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks to anyone who advises me.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose please

The Orchid is on Khuk Khak Beach which is a great walking beach in either direction. To reach Nang Thong Beach is about an hour crossing two creeks if tide level permits. Much nicer beach position than Sensimar but Sensimar better placed for walking to restaurants, bars and shops in Bang La On which in no way whatsoever compares with Patong. The beaches either side of Sensimar (to the left is Sunset Beach and to the right Nang Thong Beach) are much nicer and more natural (free from rows and rows of loungers) than Patong Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Sunset Beach Resort
Sunset Beach Resort
1,141 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong Beach
Patong Beach
13,771 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
swansea, uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me choose please

Would it be better to stay on nang thong beach then, is it nicer.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me choose please

Khuk Khak is a nicer beach IMO than Nang Thong but it depends whether you want the nicer beach or be nearer to restaurants, bars and shops.

Mentioned in this post
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
8. Re: Help me choose please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 10:56
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak