We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
182 posts
45 reviews
Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Hi Everybody

I'm thinking of staying in the Palm Galleria Resort Khao Lak in November.

A quick glance at the map it looks quite remote. So would anybody be able to help me with the following questions?

Is there and other restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel?

What is the beach like there?

How long would it take to get down to Bang Niang / Nang Thong

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Craig

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Hi Craig

You are right, the Palm Galleria is in a secluded but beautiful position on Cape Pakarang facing Pakarang Beach which is Khao Lak's best surfing beach. There are only a few restaurants nearby, notably Memories Beach Club where there is also a surf school and a bit further down the excellent Khai's Seafood restaurant. A further 15 minutes walk and across the creek and you have a row of restaurants and massage places adjacent to the J W Marriot. There are a couple of others on the road near the Palm Galleria and one right at the end of the Cape.

It is about 20 minutes to Bang Niang, 25 to Bang La On by shuttle or taxi.

Pics of the beaches from last December to date at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Is it possible to walk from the Beyond resort to here please? How far approximately and is left or right to the hotel as you are facing the sea.

TIA

jan x

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
182 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Thank you very much for the reply.

After a little more research i've decided to stay at the Apsaras Beach Resort & Spa which is just down from the Palm Galleria.

The photos you've provided are amazing! Than you agin for your help

Regards

Craig

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Hi Jan

If you mean walking from the Beyond to Cape Pakarang they are at the opposite ends of the long Pak Weeb Beach. There are two main obstacles in the way. First about 20 minutes from the Beyond there is a headland just past the Le Meridien. Don't attempt this in either direction because of submerged rocks and heavy waves when the tide is in. Then about 30 minutes easy walk from there you will reach the Boatyard Restaurant. Shortly after there the beach is full of rocks and dead coral almost up to the tree line which are submerged and very dangerous when the tide is in. We have just walked half way to the Cape from the Boatyard with the tide out and it took us about 20 minutes so about 40 minutes to the Cape. So in all an uninterrupted walk of upwards of 90 minutes in full sun but several pit stops on the way if you are there in High Season when all are open. If you are I would suggest a leisurely walk to the Boatyard where you can have free loungers and umbrella if you dine there then you can break the walk very pleasurably in two parts.

UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Thanks again for your very informative reply, you should be in commission. And thanks for the suggestions that's another place on the list, so how would we get to the boat yard from Beyond if it's not safe to walk along the beach or is that only when the tide is in?

Apologies my original question was not worded very well, it was the Memories bar that I like the sound of. Is that too far to walk to?

Sorry for all the questions, we have been advised that the staff at Beyond do not speak very good English otherwise we would have just waited til we got there to find out all these things

Capguncraig - sorry for hijacking your post.

Jan x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

Craig

Just been for a ride upto the Cape where there were serious brush fires yesterday due to the hot weather and no rain since just before New Year. There are now 7 restaurants at the junction of the Cape road and beach road leading up to the highway about 10 minute walk. So plus Memories and Khai's there is fair selection now. The Aspara has its own Beach Club just behind Memories with private access to it over a bridge across the mouth of the lagoon. Personally prefer the Apsara to the Palm Galleria.

Jan

First Memories is on the other side of the Cape facing the Aspara so ad another 15 minutes to the estimated times in my previous reply. A long walk!

Getting to the Boatyard is only hazardous if the tide is in. You will know this before you sett out.

From the Beyond and before setting out for the return trip from the Boatyard. If you go there for a dinner at sunset, highly recommended, the owner will arrange for transport back in the dark.must admit I'm surprised about your comment about staff not speaking English very well. We had a walk around the Beyond only last week and the young man from Reception spoke excellent English. Certainly there is still a shortage of English speaking staff particularly at the top end resorts. It is estimated that over 80% of English speakers in the hotel and service sector lost their lives in the 204 Tsunami and it takes a great deal of time to replace that deficit. Always speak with a smile and patience and you will get on famously.

UK
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

that sounds like a plan re the Boat yard.

I read it on a few TA reviews about the language issue and Robert the manager seems to agree with that in his response. I understand that is extremely difficult to get English speaking staff at present and he says he is attempting to address this. You are absolutely right though a smile is international and goes a long way. Any English they speak will be better than my Thai which is zilch.

Thanks again for all the info you so willingly share. You are so lucky getting to spend so much time abroad. I hope you are enjoying it.

Jan

8. Re: Palm Galleria Resort Surrounding Areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 10:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak