We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Resort?

Mornington...
Level Contributor
181 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Which Resort?

I am planning my trip for mid year. Staying a week at Cape Panwa where I have stayed before but after reading Khao Lak reviews I would like to split my holiday and spend a week there also. Haven't been able to work out which resort meets my needs best. Would like to be on beach and also if walk out front gate be in or very close to village, being a short walk to market would also be great. I have been thinking "The Sands" or "Beyond" but have no idea of proximity to village. Wouldn't mind being further away if resort provides free or inexpensive shuttle service. Are there any sites that show what is outside gates of resorts?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Resort?

Not sure where you mean by "village". There are two main townships in Khao Lak, Bang La On, the largest where most restaurants, bars and shops are located and where most remain open during the Wet (Low) Season and 5-10 minutes up the highway, Bang Niang, where there are many restaurants and bars too but usually quieter in the Low Season. The main three afternoons a week market (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays) is located here too.

The Sands is located at the northern end of Bang La On with the main resort directly beach front on Nang Thong Beach and the entrance on the highway with access to the right to restaurants, shops and bars. There are beach restaurants nearby to the right but most likely these will be closed in the Wet Season because ob beach/ocean conditions. The Adult Only Beyond Resort is located direct beachfront on Pak Weeb, the most beautiful of Khao Lak's several beaches. This is a more secluded location with no shops in the vicinity but with local beach restaurants mainly to the right and over the creek to the next stretch of beach. Whether all or some will be open is again dependent on the beach/weather conditions. Otherwise it is a 20 - 25 minute shuttle or taxi into Bang Niang/Bang La On.

Have a look at these pics taken from late November to date for Nang Thong Beach https:/…

these of Pak Weeb where Beyond is located https:/…

and here for pics of the Beyond from last week https:/…

You may wish to consider the Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1) or Nang Thong Beach Resort (NTBR2) on Nang Thong Beach, both of which are very popular with Aussies in the Low Season.

Mornington...
Level Contributor
181 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Resort?

Thanks so much, hoped you would respond as you seem really familiar with the area. Will look up other resorts you have suggested, much appreciated. Always open to suggestions.

Cheers

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Resort?

If your budget will stretch to about $ 90 pn have a look at the Ramada,

excellent place and close to plenty of restaurants etc

Mornington...
Level Contributor
181 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Resort?

Yes, $90 is fine, up to around $130 if location is better, many thanks and will take a look.

Cheers

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Resort?

all I was meaning was you can easily pay $130 for this place mid year, but at present expedia has a great rate

Mornington...
Level Contributor
181 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Resort?

What is the difference between NTBR1 and NTBR2, are they part of the same resort or totally separate? Location sounds good for my needs.

Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Resort?

They are sister resorts about 400 metres apart separated by two other resorts. NTBR2 is the newt resort being completed after the Tsunami. Both have similar bungalows, pool and restaurant. NTBR1 also has a hotel type family block to the rear of the property. You will find lots of information if you do a search on either property.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Resort?

We are going to give Beyond a try in March and if you book a villa premier, you get complimentary shuttle bus to Khao Lak.

Mornington...
Level Contributor
181 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Resort?

Just a follow up Arandora, your suggestion of NTBR1 was absolutely perfect for me. I stayed in a 3rd floor apartment with treetop views. The resort and grounds are beautifully maintained and just so convenient plus being on a beautiful beach. Liked it so much I stayed on for second week as well. We Aussies are probably fortunate that our winter doesn't coincide with Europes as the resort was very quiet and plenty of lounges for all. Many thanks.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Resort?

Hi Jem

Thanks for posting the feedback, more should dot it. Glad you liked KL and NTBR1, our fave Thai destination & hotel, went once for 3 days 2 years ago, have now been 4 times

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations