We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hesitating between two resorts...

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Hesitating between two resorts...

I have 2 similar offers for next December-January in Khao Lak

One is for the Mai Khao Lak resort and includes their NYE gala dinner, the other one is for the Ramada and doesn't include any NYE festivities.

Can anyone recommend either one or the other?

And if we don't have a gala at the hotel, will there be a good spot to celebrate NYE on the beach or in town?

We're a family of 2 adults + 1 child

Thanks!!

Phil

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

Hi Phil

Both are excellent resorts but in very different locations. The Mai is on The northern end of Pak Weeb Beach with a row of beach restaurants, bars and massage places either side. It is very family orientated with kids well looked after and mainly Scandinavian guests. No shops in the near vicinity and main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On are about 20-25 minutes away wherever restaurants, bars and shops are to be found.

The Ramada is on Bang Niang beach with beach restaurants nearby but with many more on the nearby roads up and on the highway. The 3 times a week market is just up the road too.

We have enjoyed the Gala Xmas and New Year's dinners there with friends but they are expensive if you have to pay seperately for them. However, the beachfront to the left of the Ramada is our favourite and most popular place to be on New Year's Eve to enjoy the local restaurants and bars and watch the fantastic firework displays all along the coast on either side that welcome in the New Year.

Personally I prefer the Ramada but don't think you would be disappointed at either.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

hi wallior,

can you let me know who you have those offers from , whether through a travel agent or directly with the hotel, as I emailed the ramada and was told me that the the room rates for next season haven't been confirmed yet.

thx in advance

angela

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

Hi Angela, prices were from travel operators. Most hotels haven't got prices yet, and quote silly prices if you ask directly ( in my experience and for the dates we will be travelling at).

Phil

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

Arandora, thanks for the info. I think the Ramada would be a better choice for us location wise.

Is it good with kids? We have an 11 year old boy who likes sport activities (football, tennis, table tennis...).

Thanks,

Phil

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
211 reviews
5. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

We've stayed at Ramada (without kids) and we both commented on what a child-friendly resort it is with a big open central lawn area perfect for kids games and adjacent to the pool. The staff were really great with the kids. It's a very good resort I think you will be very happy with your choice. Great restaurants within walking distance. Enjoy!

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
6. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

Many thanks Phil, we are thinking of staying there for part of the time, but will be covering all the bases anyway, hopefully that is.

I'm pretty sure that the ramada is a good choice, we had a look around last Christmas and we really liked what we saw,plus it is within walking distance of all the liveliest area.

All the very best

Angela

Edited: 05 February 2014, 04:39
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

Phil

If the quotes you have got for the Ramada are only preliminary ones, I am surprised that there is not an additional Compulsory Gala Dinner supplement for Xmas and New Year's Eves. There certainly was a couple of years ago when our friends stayed there. Some of the booking sites included it if your period included either of those two dates, others didn't until you came to the booking stage. What we paid for joining them for those two nights could have paid for a months meals for us! :-)

8. Re: Hesitating between two resorts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak