We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tachai trip? Here now

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tachai trip? Here now

Hi all,

We are in KL at the moment , and want to visit Tachai island. Are there any reports of jellies there at the moment?? Don't want to travel all that way then not be able to snorkel.

Tour operator recommendations looking at Sea star look good?? Brochure price quoting A 3700 and C 2300 is this a little high would I get this cheaper outside my hotel Mai Khoa Lak?

Thanks for any advise

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

No reports of jellies at Tachai that I am aware of. Brochure and on-line prices are always higher and shopping around locally will produce lower prices in a very competitive market. An agent for Fantastic Similan Travel, bookable at most tour desks in Khao Lak or near the Mai (try at Ma Ma & Mr.Lek's Restaurant just down the beach for good prices) an excellent operator quoted me 2400 baht instead of 3600 brochure price for Adults and children (4-12) a couple of weeks ago for another TA member. Other operators to Tachai include Kuraburi Greenview, Ruk Talay and Love Andaman.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Kuraburi Greenview Resort
Kuraburi Greenview Resort
119 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

I went to Tachai with Sea Star last year, and will go with them again in about a month. Booked with Naree Tour & Travel located at Khao Lak Beach. Can't remember prices, but it was cheaper than mentioned above.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
655 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

I loved Tachai but I hated the speedboat trip over. After half an hour I felt sick as a dog and I have very good sea legs normally. On the way back about 5 or 6 people were looking VERY green. We went with Love Andaman from memory.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

It happens to best of us! :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

Hi

Just letting people know that we had a great trip with Seastar to Tachai a few days ago. We booked with Mr. Chi in front of the Mai Khao Lak resort and paid 8600 bht for 2 adults and 2 children.

No jellies at tachai, snorkelling was good for fish, a bit rough going out but better on the return.

We were the last boat to leave so it was lovely to enjoy an uncrowded beach at the end of the day.

On a separate note we are off to the night market tonight and would like a restaurant recommendation for good thai food on the beach down from the market or on food street??

Our last dinner in KL so we want a good one

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Seastar
Seastar
198 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Mai Khao
Mai Khao
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

Dao Thong across from entrance to the market for Chiang Rai based cuisine, Khao Niau just around the corner from the 711 on the beach road or entrance from the market for Isan cuisine, then going down towards the beach Sawasdee just past there for seafood and in particular duck dishes, Enzo for Japanese, Mali for seafood and Thai, Siam next door for same. Down to the bottom just before the beach turn right for Green Pepper on the Beach, and further down past the Casa de la Flora is Sabai Sabai, both overlooking the beach .

However, if I were staying at the Mai and hadn't dined there before I would go back go the Mai and have dinner at Elicious on the beach just down from the Mai. We have dinner there regularly, last time being last night and IMO is better than any of the aforementioned for both its cuisine and its location.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Green Pepper On The Beach
Green Pepper On The Beach
227 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Casa de La Flora
Casa de La Flora
572 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Sabai Sabai
Sabai Sabai
621 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

Hi Arandora

Elicious seems to be getting rave reviews from everyone -would it be worth a taxi ride there and back from the Orchid or are the ones at JWM and Lays comparable?

Cheers again Nora

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

In terms of menu there is no restaurant in Khao Lak, beach or otherwise that I am aware of that serves cuisine like this. More Nouvelle Thai than Thai Fusion. See one of menus at pic No. 87 in this album https:/… In addition to these the specials include rock lobster with black pepper and garlic, infused with penang curry and peanut sauce, with mango salad, tiger crab, Phuket lobster, black tipped red grouper and other fresh fish and seafood. Really different, Really dElicious! - and a fabulous location and view. Tel' 081 979 6760 or 086 942 6273 for reservation and to organise a taxi. Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/elicious.khaolak…

Where is Lays?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

Thanks Arrandora - sounds beautiful and thanks for the link! Lays is I think next to the sunset bar, but my research could have gone a bit astray again. Here's the link tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g297914-…

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tachai trip? Here now

Sorry, I thought by "Lays" you were referring to a strip of restaurants as opposed to the Lay Restaurant which is the first beach restaurant about 400 metres to the left of the Orchid and immediately adjacent to the Sunset Bar, both of which are decent enough "ordinary" beach restaurants and in a great location for a sunset dinner but not in the same class IMO as Elicious. Different type of menu altogether.

Mentioned in this post
Lay Restaurant
Lay Restaurant
615 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sunset Bar
Sunset Bar
598 Reviews