We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY bay tour

leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
DIY bay tour

I am not a good sea traveller :( hence wouldn't contemplate a trip to the similians , but how would the bay trip be in a long boat , how many people fit in, or I could do canoe - just not bumpy speedboat rides - not intersected in tourist sites ie James Bond , but would like to see the surrounding area - not keen on big groups like to DIY if possible ! We would like to spend one day out and about with our 8 year old son any other ideas appreciated

Thanks for your help .

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY bay tour

You can easily do a DIY trip to the fabulous Phang Nga Bay. Get Boss from Cheaper than hotel Taxis (contact cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com ) or any other taxi to take you to the pier just outside Phang Nga City. From Khao Lak to there is a lovely scenic drive of just over an hour. At the pier you will be contacted by a local selling private (just for your party) longtail boat trips which go out as far as James Bond Island and back, calling on the way there or back at Koh Panyi, the floating Muslim Village, and usually on the way there stop off at a sea canoe platform if you want a side trip in a sea canoe (usually two people or 2 adults and 1 child plus guide/paddler per canoe) into the mangroves and through a cave in one of the islands into the Hong (Hong means room and gives its name to these hidden lagoons inside the limestone formation).

After the trip you could call at a local restaurant for lunch or have it on Koh Panyi on the way back to the pier, then take a trip to Wat Suwan Kuha (or Monkey Temple) where a giant Buddha reclines inside a cave with hordes of monkeys frolicking about at the entrance and at the rear of the cavern.

I'm sure your 8 year old will enjoy this trip, both parts of which you can do with Boss or through Green Andaman Travel.

See this link for pics of the various popular tours in and around Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY bay tour

Could you give me any approximate costs for the long tail , and I'm assuming you don't go far out to sea ( so it's not rough?!!)

Thank you

3. Re: DIY bay tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 17:05
4. Re: DIY bay tour

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 17:05
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY bay tour

"I vill say zis only once!" LOL

A longtail will cost about 1400 baht for upto 4 people plus 400 baht each (I think, not been for a couple of years) for sea canoe. Boss charges 1000 baht to Phang Nga Town (see http://www.walagata.com/w/arandora/Boss_Prices_October_2013..jpg) but will probably arrange an inclusive tour price including the Monkey Temple.

Yes, you do go pretty far out into the Bay but it is a sheltered bay and longtails are very stable and surprisingly smooth. The full trip including a stop at Koh Panyi and the sea canoe trip is about 3-4 hours depending on how long you stop off at Koh Panyi.

leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY bay tour

Thank you

G

7. Re: DIY bay tour

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 10:48