We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excellent course

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
excellent course

if you are looking for things to do apart from sunbathe and the usual things,

we had a really enjoyable morning learning how to cook thai dishes with a lovely young women called pui.

this is also not too involved and serious so suitable for the non cooking partner as well. it it will give you a fair idea as to the ingredients which go into thai food and more to the point it helped me as a first time visitor to the country, understand the dishes i was eating in restaurants, whether they were not to my taste or just badly cooked.

the kitchen she uses has been built specifically for this purpose. you get picked from your resort and taken to the market, where you help her to buy the ingredients and you get a flavour real thai life. you then get shown how to cook the food and also help a bit with the prep work. each of us got 2 dishes we could chose and by lunch time we a veritable feast laid out on a table for us to tuck into.

she is is bang la on and if you'r interested her email is p.khaolak@yahoo.de

liverpool
Level Contributor
561 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: excellent course

Thanks Angela - that sounds a great experience, another one to add to the list! Hope you had a lovely holiday in Khao Lak it was lovely reading your reports Nora x

leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: excellent course

Can I ask how much you paid , and where is it located ? Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: excellent course

While waiting for Angela's reply, there are various restaurants and hotels that offer Thai cookery courses. The one we chose was with Goy of the Everyday Restaurant which costs 1500 baht and is the last restaurant on the left opposite the Sensimar Resort before you go over the mountain in Bang La On.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
4. Re: excellent course

oops, still got a touch of jetlag going on, it seems harder coming back, still find myself going to sleep at the oddest hours.

i am sure there are plenty of courses to chose from. ours was arranged by a friend and cost 1500 baht, which seems to be the going rate.

she wants a minimum of 2 people, so you can get a good variety of dishes.

best wishes.

angela

Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: excellent course

Sounds like a fun activity to do! What dishes did you prepare?

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
6. Re: excellent course

here are some flickr photos from that day,

somewhat new to it, so not sure if the link will work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114567584@N07/

apologies not sure how you link it so you can click, this has to be copied and pasted. :)

Edited: 16 January 2014, 18:20
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: excellent course

Fantastic photos (your link worked by copy & paste). Hungry now...

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: excellent course

you also get a copy of the recipes you cooked that day to take away with you

son-in-law egg :) not my favourite i must say but interesting, you boil eggs hard and the deep fry them.

thai fried noodles (pad thai)

thai fish cakes

stir fried chicken with cashew nuts (yum)

steamed fish with chilli sauce

satay prawns

massaman curry chicken

9. Re: excellent course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 16:30
10. Re: excellent course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 16:32
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak