We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak in May 2014?

P C
Dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Khao Lak in May 2014?

Folks, need some help, looking to book a trip from myself and wife to Khao Lak for 10 days from mid May staying at the Ramada.

I've been reading that attractions and tours start closing in May, is this really the case?

Can anyone shed any light on traveling this time of the year?

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak in May 2014?

Hi, great choice for travel.

I have been staying in Bangkok for 5 years and I was in khao lak in July 2013 and every bit of khao lak was great. There are 3 types of attractions; waterfalls , beaches and scenic roads. Waterfalls in khao lak are not dry due to no rain may so this is green. Beaches and nearby islands tours are open until June 3rd week (rainy season start time/ high tides). Khao sok national park is best and must see attraction in the region.

I hope you like this info. Let me know if you need more info.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak in May 2014?

Contrary to previous reply, the Similan Islands, Surin Islands and Koh Tachai are closed by the National Parks authorities usually at the end of April (Wet Season is May to October) but for the past two years they have remained open until 15th May. Tours in that period are still very much dependent on the sea conditions and subject to cancellation and conditions being rough anyway.

However, there are other excellent tours available both locally (waterfalls, Little Amazon in Takua Pa, raft riding near Tab Lamu) and to the north the beautiful Khao Sok National Park and awesome Cheow Lan Lake and to the south one of Thailand's most striking destinations, Phang Nga Bay.

The Ramada is a great hotel in a great location, being well placed for nearby restaurants and the Bang Niang market (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays afternoons) which is opposite the Tsunami Police Boat Memorial site. The main Memorial site is about 25 minutes north in the seaside township of Ban Nam Khem and well worth a visit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak in May 2014?

And just walking out of The Ramada and about 10 minutes walk up the road you can enter the rear of Bang Niang markets.....

A great half day spent at an interesting Thai open market.....

4. Re: Khao Lak in May 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak