We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of sunscreen?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
617 posts
220 reviews
Availability of sunscreen?

Can one buy sunscreen (such as Blue Lizard sensitive skin) in Khao Lak? Thanks, just wondering how much we should bring with us for our month-long trip that is coming up REALLY SOON (can you tell I am excited!!??)

Sally in Seattle

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

Never heard of Blue Lizard brand or seen it in Khao Lak or indeed in the bigger shops/super markets in Phuket. Sunscreen is limited to just a few brands and is mostly low SPF, expensive and you have to careful you don't buy Sun Whitening cream which locals use to lighten rather than darken their skin. If you favour a particular brand, especially for sensitive skin, that suits you bring your own. We do for our 5 month stay which seriously adds to our free luggage allowance on the way out but which is filled up by Mrs A's shopping on the way back!!! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
669 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

You're definitely better off bringing your own than buying it in Khao Lak, as it's more expensive for sure compare to the US/Canada, and very few choices as Arandora has suggested.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,261 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

We always take our own as it's so expensive in Thailand. Even though we only take hand luggage I decant into 100ml bottles so that I don't have to pay the prices there.

Qld
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

I have been buying sunscreen in Khao Lak for the past 4 years at 7-11. I have found it to be better than anything I can get in Australia (I have very fair and sensitive skin). Also doesn't come off in water. It is called Hawaiian Style Sunblock SPF 50 and is reasonably priced. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Maureen

Edited: 09 January 2014, 15:41
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

Without starting a debate about the necessity to take the highest SPF factor, most Europeans (except those very prone to sunburn and/or sensitive skins) use SPF 20 or SPF 30 both of which in my experience are in short supply, limited brands (some local/unknown) and only small bottles and are much more expensive than in UK. For instance Boots SPF 30 with built in insect repellent (which we buy in 400ml bottles when there is a Buy One get one Half Price offer on) works out at about 225 baht per 100ml compared to double that price for a low SPF Nivea in the Nang Thong Supermarket. If we run out we usually plead with friends coming out from UK to make room in their suitcase to restock us! :-)

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

@ Arandora

Hi Alan,

We're going to be in KL arriving early March so if you are running out of sun screen message me before the end of Feb.and I'll pack a couple of extra bottles. I ALWAYS take far too much sunscreen. Being fair and freckled, it's my biggest fear, being without sunscreen. And I always end up taking about a third of it home again, so let me know if you need some.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

Thanks very much. That is very kind of you. I think we should be OK until then as we left some behind last April.

8. Re: Availability of sunscreen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak