We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similan islands with toddler

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Similan islands with toddler

Hi!

We are going to Khao Lak in 2 weeks and I wonder if anyone has tried going to Similan Islands with a very young child? We are travelling with our 15 months old twins. I have contacted two dive operators and they do not recommend bringing kids < 4 years old on the speed boat. I understand that diving will be too difficult, but is there any snorkeling trip we could do?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similan islands with toddler

The speedboat crossing can be very rough. There are plenty of snorkelling trips but I doubt whether any would take children so young. I certainly wouldn't.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Is the only option speedboat?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Yes. There is no snorkelling from anty of Khao Lak beaches. You could go on a local longtail boat to an island just off Tab Lamu but I think that would be even more dangerous. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to enjoy snorkelling together when the twins grow up. After all at 15 months they will get no benefit from the experience and there are too many risks.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
norfolk
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Hi Arandora, this island near Tab Lamu, how far is it in a long tail boat and is it good snorkeling?

Intend to do the Similan Islands as two of our group of four are serious divers. And myself and friend have done the last three years snorkeling in the Maldives, so am goin to need my snorkeling fix, even if it isn't so good.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Compared to the Maldives the snorkelling off Khao Na Yak, or Secret Island as Love Andaman call it (they are trying to sell it as a one day tour rival to the Similans and Koh Tachai bit it isn't in same category - yet!) is very limited and sparse. Mind you most places are compared to the Maldives. Koh Tachai is known as the Maldives of Thailand but mainly because of the combination of powder white sand, crystal clear water, an inshore reef and so snorkelling from the beach if you want.

We did a half day longtail boat trip from the beach in Bang Niang and comprised a sail south along the coast which took about 45 minutes stopping first off the island to snorkel from the boat, then continued to a lovely small sandy bay on the island which is uninhabited to snorkel around there. Then after about an hour snorkelling in total we sailed back to "Small Sandy Beach" which is, err, a small sandy beach down on the headland where the HQ of the Khao Lak Lamru National Park is located. At this time you could get to it only from the sea. Now you can walk down from the highway either through the NP main entrance or a separate marked entrance at the top of the mountain road. We had lunch there then sailed back along the coast to Bang Niang. The trip was from about 10am to 2pm, booked through a local office in Bang Niang next to the Chong Fah Resort. You can book just a longtail there and back from local places either side of the creek between Bang Niang and Nang Thong Beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
403 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Back to the original subject - I actually found a company that does accommodate families with small children. Manta Point Dive Center. They have a large and comfortable liveaboard boat and has had kids on board before, the youngest one being 9 months only. This is the option we will choose, and take the 2D/2N snorkeling trip and bring the kids.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Personally I can see for good reason and safety why diving operators do not recommend bringing vey young children on these trips!

My husband has been diving for many years as a diving instructor and for personal pleasure, way before we had children.

There is no personal pleasure for the children at such a young age and even if only a small risk, is it worth it for ones own selfish pleasure!

Great though u have found someone to give u the type of holiday u require!

8. Re: Similan islands with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:35
Edited: 08 January 2014, 06:35
norfolk
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Thank you Arandora for more valuable info!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Similan islands with toddler

Sorry to say but the OP's priorities seem a little twisted. Just because there is one provider out of dozens that is prepared to take your toddler on board, does not make it safe. Even though the other providers have explained that such a live-aboard trip is not suitable for toddler of that age, the OP wants to disregard such advice in order to satisfy their own selfish desires.

Cheers.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak