We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused! Which Hotel?

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
44 reviews
Confused! Which Hotel?

Hi there

Having read through this forum and also the FAQ, I am still a bit confused.. We are planning a trip to KL end Feb. Quite short notice, and I see a lot of the hotels are already fully booked..,

I decided that the Le Meridien might be our best bet (we are traveling with a 5year old, so kids club important) but after reading a lot of recent bad reviews about the hotel- I am hesitant to book! (Maybe something to do with the planned withdrawal of Starwood? Seems like quite a few people are complaining about the service and that things are very "dated")

Also, It seems like the LM is on a beautiful beach, but is there a variety of dining options within walking distance? Seems a bit isolated? (We like local cuisine, and never eat at a hotel)

Other options are the sands, JW marriot or Ramada (which seems to be fully booked, but I can play around with our dates if need to be) Any other suggestions will be much appreciated.

Also, is it worth renting a car?

Many Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Confused! Which Hotel?

Hi

The planned transfer of the Le M has been put on hold for another year so I wouldn't think any improvements that need doing will take place before then certainly not in your time scale. Having said that friends of ours have just spent Xmas and New Year there and their only complaint was the cost of in-resort dining. So since you favour local restaurants and there now a good selection nearby particularly just to the right past the Beyond Resort that shouldn't be a problem.

Of your other ones under consideration the Sands is only a year old and has a good number of beach restaurants in easy reach as well as its entrance on the highway being at the start of the main dining and shopping area in Khao Lak. It's location really is on the best beach in Khao Lak and is about 20-25 minutes from the main townships where most restaurants, bars and shops are to be found.

The JWM also has several beach restaurants adjacent to it as well as others near the main entrance. The main areas are 10-15 minutes away by shuttle/ taxi.

Another very family orientated resort with a very active and organised Kids Clib is the Mai Khao Lak, also located on beautiful Pak Weeb Beach at them of the row restaurants up from Le M. Again a new resort only just over a year old.

Hope this helps.

South Africa
Level Contributor
60 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Confused! Which Hotel?

Hi Arandora

The effort and time you put in to answer people (and me!) on this forum is really admirable. Thankyou.

I think I should stick with LM... I can get a suite for a good price...and the suites look quite spacious..

Have a great day!

3. Re: Confused! Which Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 11:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak