We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips - easier from Phuket or Khao Lak?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips - easier from Phuket or Khao Lak?

I will have approx. 10 nights in November which I was originally going to split between Khao Lak and 2 or 3 nights at Khao Sok/Lake. Now I'm wondering if I should do a couple nights Phuket (not sure which area), then Khao Sok and the remainder at Khao Lak. Day trips that I definitely want to include are Phi Phi by speedboat and Phang Nga Bay - is it signficantly easier to do these trips from Phuket or is it fine to do these from Khao Lak?

When I was originally looking at the Khao Sok piece, it looked like it would be difficult to get there by the start of the tour based on the timing of direct flights from Chiang Mai, hence why I was thinking maybe a few days in Phuket beforehand.

Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips - easier from Phuket or Khao Lak?

if you take the direct flight with airasia CM to phuket airport, you will arrive about 3pm and can easily get to khao sok before dark. we hired a driver to do this, and spent 2 nights there before moving on to khao lak.

we have done the bay tour from KL and it was fine, but haven't done PP so can't comment on that.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips - easier from Phuket or Khao Lak?

Both trips would be easier from Phuket.

Phang Nga Bay would be possible from KL, because the boat leaves from the north of Phuket. Phi Phi departs from the south, so is a long way from KL.

Mentioned in this post
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips - easier from Phuket or Khao Lak?

You can do a lomgtail boat trip into Phang Nga Bay via the sea canoe platform and Koh Panyee (the Mislim floating village) from Khao Lak more easily than from Phuket and can com bine it with a visit to the nearby Monkey Temple. See pics at https:/…

You can also do day trips to PhiPhi from Khao Lak although it will be a longer day because of transfer to pier.

This avoids splitting your holiday up.

Mentioned in this post
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
4. Re: Day trips - easier from Phuket or Khao Lak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations