We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish in Khao Lak

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish in Khao Lak

Beware! Daily frequent and occasionally quite severe jellyfish stings at the beach in front of Ayara/ La Flora/ Chong Fah. If you're going to swim have medication ready- cream /spray and antihistamine.

We have been here at this time for 6 out of the last 7 years and never seen anything like it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

A bottle of vinegar is regarded as best antidote. Jellyfish sighted on other beaches but not all the stinging variety. According to locals it is the small round disc shaped ones that are worst.

khao lak
Level Contributor
264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

just to add,never rub it,that is the first instinct,pour vinegar directly on to the sting,go to a local,they make a poultice out of a plant on the beach that stops the sting.the only time i have been stung here was at the market,i bought a genuine rolex for 200b and it broke the next day,hahah

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

There were a number of very large jellies beached along Pak Weeb Beach yesterday but no reported stings. When there were last sightingsof this type I sent photos to a Professor in Phuket conducting a study of jellyfish in the Andaman waters around Phuket and Khao Lak and they were pronounced harmless. Ugly but harmless!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

But certainly not armless....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

I doubt whether those who have been stung and the OP think this is a trivial matter.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

Some people seem to react more severely than others. The worst I saw- at Ayara- was a woman whose feet were badly blistered and very sore.

Other people seem to react much less severely and have an itchy rash for an hour or so.

The good news is that we saw no victims yesterday(Saturday).fingers crossed they've moved offshore.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

If you do use vinegar you don't dab it on it has to be poured over for at least 30 seconds to to block the discharge of the venom.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

Already posted at #2

No sign of any on Khuek Khak beach today.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

All clear at Ayara today (Sunday)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish in Khao Lak

Some funny answers on here today...Everyone is a comedian....Haha..!!....

Also never ever rub sand onto/into the sting area....The temptation to do so is overwhelming as this creates a .lovely effect taking away the itch but only for a second and then the pain and itch becomes even worser...Like that word...??...But agrees vinegar is the answer.....!!....Besides vinegar goes great on chips so they say....!!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations