We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building works near Lah Own

liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Building works near Lah Own

Pisit has left a message on his facebook page regarding building works which may impact on peoples stay at Lah Own. I noticed on a german forum that work has already started - has anyone any updates? I am arriving in April looking for peace and tranquility.........

Mentioned in this post
Lah Own Beach Resort
Lah Own Beach Resort
101 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Ben's Restaurant
₹, Pizza, Seafood, Italian
1. Re: Building works near Lah Own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 16:57
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Hi nittynora,

We have just arrived today. I did ask as I'd read the same message, there is aboutnan acre to left as you drive in were workmen have built[t makeshift shelters and the ground has been cleared.

Only spent the day there here so far and heavily jet lagged as it is, wouldn[t feel a thing if you hit me over the head with a hammer ANd somewhat tipsy.

What can I say, lovely place really please,d we came.

ALL THE BEST

ANGELA

PS unfortunate experience with boss, driver picked us up on time etc, but drove like a he had death wish, overtook everthhing in his way at break neck speed, not a pleasant experience, hoping this might be a one-off.

liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Thanks Angela I hope you have a wonderful holiday and the jetlag soon goes!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Angela,

If you haven't already you should report your experience with your driver to Boss. That type of driving is NOT what he expects of his drivers.

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Thanks everyone for your kind words, we are starting to settle in.

had dinner at lah own was very reasonable food simple and subtly flavoured, just as we like it. Cocktails around 6ish on the beach, in one of the beach bars to the right. Tried 2 so far, can't fault them, amazing views and sunsets, people are so friendly. Pisit the owner here is talking about doing organic food next year. Had a haircut and colour at Sue's, she was telling me that she trained at switzerland after the tsunami so her cutting skills are all up-to-date and love my haircut. We had dinner at hill tribe, we were looking so forward to that as the reviews are really good, but unfortunately, we might have gotten them on a bad day, but the food wasn't all that great, for example the tampura in banana leaves needed a lot longer and in hotter oil, I could taste the raw flour. Pity here goes it, some people might have better luck, but we loved the little booths were were you sat with your legs crossed on pillows.

Again many thanks to arandora who has been amazing and made the planning so much easier. Yes we have e-mailed boss about the driver but not as yet checked if we had a reply, my phone hasn't been sorted out yet and will get round to it tomorrow. We dropped round cousins resort today, I hope you got the package.

Looking forward to another glorious 2 and something weeks here.

Best wishes.

Angela

liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Hi Angela - sounds like you are having a lovely time, shame about Hilltribes, it's on our to do list too. Loving your reports, if you get time (between cocktails :))can you comment on the Lah Own breakfast? Best wishes a very jealous Nora x

Mentioned in this post
Lah Own Beach Resort
Lah Own Beach Resort
101 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Hi Angela

Sorry we missed you but the card and little pressie you were a lovly and very much appreciated surprise. Pity about Hill Tribes and hope it was justone of those days. Glad you enjoyed dining Kantoke style.Personally it murders my back! :-)

canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Building works near Lah Own

things so far have been a tad confusing to say the least.

but first things first. we love lah own resort. it si spacious with plenty of room between the sunbeds, unlike the sands for instance which we observed from the beach this morning during our run where they pack them in like sardines ;))

nittynora, the breakfast is simple, 3 choices traditional thai, muesli with yoghurt, and eggs cooked various ways. i can only comment on the musli as i tend not to go in for massive blowouts mainly for vanity reasons. you won't get your cheeses or cold meats, neither are there danish pastries, by the plate load. 3 choices of fruit beatifully carved and 2 kinds of bread. coffee is also drinkable which has came as a pleasant surprise.

we are renting bikes at the moment which help with getting out and about but then we are fit,are not attempting any longish journeys during the middle of the day either, which can get a bit hot to say the least.

now for the confusing part.

from previous posts i gathered that budget and smile restaurants are in the same place. appearantly not it seems smile is in bang la on and budget in biang niang. same goes for monty the tailor his shop is not next to sue, but according to hubby who is wanting a suit made for work somewhere else entirely.

we managed to sort it out. just one more question. i think the company who do the elephant trekking are called green anadaman travel (might have gotten that wrong again). where can we find them?

the chap at boss taxi has not replied to my email as yet, but there is plenty of time and we are enjoying ourselves way too much to worrry about anything like that.

all the best

angela

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Budget has an office in Bang Biang on the highway which is mainly for admin and dealing with co-ordinating bookings and delivery and reacting to any incidents involving Budget customers. However the main franchisee for Budget bookings to which I always direct people is at the Smile Restaurant which is on the northern end of the highway opposite the entrance to the new Leaf or Sands Resorts. Contact is via the Smile website.

That breakfast at La-Own seems more substantial for that standard of local resort in my experience.

Perhaps you looked at an old topic about another Sue hairdresser who used to be next for to Monty the Tailor who is located at the southern end of Bang La On in the Khao Lak Grand City (big yellow building) plaza.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 10:30
Mentioned in this post
Monty The Tailor
Monty The Tailor
45 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
liverpool
Level Contributor
549 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Building works near Lah Own

Hi Angela, thanks for the breakfast info - great news re the coffee! Continue to have a lovely holiday and have a great christmas and New Year Nora x

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak