We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip Boss's taxi?

New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How much to tip Boss's taxi?

He quoted me 1300 one way to the hotel. I know it's not customary to tip the driver, but should I really not tip? And if I tip, how much?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to tip Boss's taxi?

Ah, the tipping dilemma. It really isn't customary (yet!) to tip, especially taxi drivers and, of course, they will never be refused. Thai service employees don't rely on tips and expectation is not built into their wages. However, pending replies from others who may have done, tips are generally more nominal rather than substantial and if I use a taxi to a hotel I would tip the bell boys who looked after my luggage rather than the taxi driver. In local restaurants, leaving the change from the bill is the norm. One exception is at local massage places, particularly on the beach where often the masseuses rent a bed and pay much of what are generally standard fees to the "parlour" owner. A tip of upto 100 baht is, again, felt to be appropriate although, again, it is not obligatory.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 06:34
2. Re: How much to tip Boss's taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak