We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight prices have shot up!!!

Derby
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flight prices have shot up!!!

Just as I had decided on a hotel, I've gone to book the flight with Thai Airways leaving Jan 25th & they've gone from £680 pp to £925 pp overnight!!

Is this normal or does it have something to do with the protests?

They were excellent times with just one stop - have I just left it too late?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

Flights go up and down all the time but you may have left it late now to get a good price as the flights always go up nearer the departure date, check out the www.skyscanner.net website to see if maybe one of the middle eastern airlines have better prices.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

Just to add, it's go nothing to do with the protests, it's normal.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

This is normal. You are approaching high season, so airlines raise prices. If you book thru Skyscanner of Trailfinders you may be able to still get a deal, as trailfinders area bucket shop. In future book 3 months before to secure best deals.

Trailfinders have direct flights with Eva Air for £570!

Edited: 03 December 2013, 19:38
Berkshire
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

This is fairly normal and January is also peak season for holidays to Thailand so they know they can still sell the flights.

We have recently returned from Khao Lak, travelling between London and Bangkok with Etihad. They were considerably cheaper and we managed to get only a couple of hours layover in Abu Dhabi. It's also a good excuse to stop off in the UAE on the way home too!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

Etihad i think are offering rtn flights to bkk for like £450, and they are an excellent airline. I just returnrd from Thailand with them. Trailfinders also have flights for £465. So, no worries whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

Use Skyscanner to search for best flights for your dates but avoid the cheap prices with 3rd party sites as they invariably do not exist at that price. Whewrever possibl book direct with the airline or a reputable sitelike Trailfinders, NetFlights.com or Expedia.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

""but avoid the cheap prices with 3rd party sites as they invariably do not exist at that price""

Untrue.

I used 3'rd party and got rtn bkk flights up to £100 cheaper than competition. The prices advertised ARE correct.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

Good for you but if you read the bad experiences of others booking through 3rd Party sites because they appear to be cheapest on the air Travel Forum you will understand why I and other regulars on that forum give that advice. I did say consider the "reputable" sites.

Derby
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

Thanks everyone, all may not be lost then! I'm on a mission! :)

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight prices have shot up!!!

* Good for you but if you read the bad experiences of others booking through 3rd Party sites *

Fair enough Arand, but you'll notice that these 'bad experiences', are mostly a failure to read the 'terms and conditions' of their booking contract. Certainly dealing direct with airlines is best, but IME this comes with a hefty price. With 3'rd party sites, you must read carefully the terms and conditions cos they are binding. Book on these sites well in advance to fix any possible issues that may arise, also double check that booking before confirming, and then all should be fine.

So far i've used Skyscanner, Opodo, and Omegaflightstore with no probs whatsoever, but i see others who used the same with many issues: Enough to almost 'put me off' using them!

I can only conclude that many people who book online are clumsy, and don't like not being able to ammend errors so easily with these 3'rd party sites. I may of course have 'just been lucky', but i think that's only cos i read the T&C's: For example, look at the amount of posts on this forum from people who obviously seem to have no interest about doing any research about Thailand whatsoever b4 they travel. No offence intended, but I'm sure those it's those same people are having booking errors.

It only takes a little effort.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 15:26
Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak