We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etiquette in Resorts

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Etiquette in Resorts

Hi,

I just wanted to check the etiquette surrounding using other resorts pools/ facilities. As the pool in our resort might not be suitable for our toddlers/ we get bored of it/ is too busy what is the situation about using other resorts. We would be looking to go and have breakfast and play in pool for a few hours most days with with snacks & maybe even lunch as well. Common sense tells me that if you are spending money in a resort even if you are not a staying guest that you would be welcome. Am I right?

Also as a part b is there any resorts (which would be happy for this) that have especially good pools for toddlers/ young children to get in about as well as good food?

Thanks again to everyone in advance for advice/ suggestions

TheBoldBoysMum

The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#2 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Hi sorry, I would say no, if you are not staying a that resort then you will not be allowed to come in and use the pool no matter what you buy. If everyone did this then the resort could be extremely busy with no one actually staying there!! The hotel loses out. If you want a good pool and activities it might be worth while booking a resort that has these?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Agree with post #1.

Why did you not pick a resort that suits your needs ?

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

We have picked resorts that meets 90% of our needs. I was just looking at options for a few different changes of scene for later in our holiday- that we can do close by and they would like (meaning maybe 2 or 3 morning out of 16!). Ideally I would have the kids out for the day in the national parks, swimming under waterfalls, canoeing but alas they are too young and instead I look for little things like eating somewhere different in a pool somewhere different that will excite them.

I'll scratch that from the list then!

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

You can visit the different beaches that hire sun beds and have different lovely restaurants on? I know it's a bit of a bummer, we went to Portugal last year and hired a villa in a quiet resort, we had our own pool but I emailed a hotel nearby to see if it would be possible to use their pool sometimes so the girls could meet other kids and when they emailed back no, it's for hotel guests only I was slightly put out but then I thought about it a bit more and thought well if I had spent the money to stay at the resort with the big pool etc and it was bombarded with people who were not staying there I would be annoyed so I can see their point. Khao lak is meant to be so lovely with lots of gorgeous beaches that I am sure your boys will have so much fun they probably won't won't to be in the pool much. We are looking forward to our first visit in December with our two girls. I hope you have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
canterbury
Level Contributor
773 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

i've seen this done once before, but not in thailand. we fell into conversation with the couple as they were next to us on the loungers and we hadn't seen them before. they gave the pool boys and waiters a sum of money, kept ordering food drinks and tipped really well too. if management had found out i'm sure they would have been asked to leave. it was a l 4 star hotel, but not so sure that i would like to stay in a place were this was common practice either.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
957 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Have you though about splitting your time between 2 different resorts for a change of scenery? We always do a minimum of 5 days in one place as moving around you do lose time.

When are you travelling again? If it is in low season May-oct I would definitely recommend Kantary Beach. Perfect pools for big and little kids. Great beach and villas as well and at a very reasonable price.

Happy travels

Cheers

P.S No kids allowed at Kantary now in high season :-(

Verrena ;-)

Edited: 22 November 2013, 03:00
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Yep, I agree. Most resorts have a guest only policy with the pool. Some will let you use the sun loungers on the beach if you buy a certain amount of food and drinks, but usually the pool is a no go area unless you are staying.

And fair enough too. It's not fair to the guests who are staying there to have people come in just to use the pool IMO.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Totally agree!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Thanks for the suggestion of Kantary beach but we are going last week in Jan / first week in Feb! We have booked 2 different resorts but to be honest even if we were just staying in 1 place there is plenty to keep them going for a fortnight- beach, pool, markets, restaurants, cafés, wondering wildlife, ride in taxi, a new bucket and spade, etc etc.

I kind of wish I hadn't started this thread. It's like when you are in a room full of people and you say something you think is completely reasonable and totally not controversial and suddenly there is silence........ and then everyone disagrees with you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Etiquette in Resorts

Don't feel bad that you started this thread. We are not having a go at you, just sharing the info that we have.

It's actually a common question and I guess if you have never been to a certain country, you might not know all the etiquette. I am sure others will be reading that didn't know the answer. It's all good :)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak