We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao lak weather at the moment

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Khao lak weather at the moment

Yesterday it was raining all day long.

Not heavy. A light warm rain so no problem.

Today it looks to be sunny.

Its also the Loy Krathong festival and hopefully it will be a clear night fo all the lights that will be send away tonight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

Hopefully the weather picks up for when I, out there in 2 weeks. Don't really fancy packing a rain mac!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

We stay all the Dry Season and always take our Macks in a Sacks. There is always the risk of rain in a tropical climate even in the Dry Season. Usually comes and goes and dries up very quickly though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

I had a look at the weather online and it just says rain non stop for the duration of our stay, but then again it's like that with the Caribbean and there is never any rain.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

There are no weather stations based in Khao Lak and forecasts bear no real similarity to Khao Lak as forecasts are based on either Thai Mueang 45km to the south or Phuket even further south or Takua Pa 25km north and inland. Khao Lak enjoys a micro climate influenced by the mountains to the east and the ocean to the west and there can be rain on one beach and none seen on another. It will be hot although the breezes at the beach provide lovely cooling relief. Inland during the day it gets very hot.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

My daughter has been out there for ladt 10 days. Weather has been hit and miss but mostly miss and the last two days inmparticular pretty rotten. This morning she sent me a video of heavy persistent rain. Apparently has been like that or last 12 hours or so and is forecast to continue.

This is the risk at this time of year.

Shame as this is her and her husbands first time in Thailand.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

I hope it clears up for beginning of December lol. Got to expect a couple of hours of rain each day which is fine but persistent rain for 2 weeks would send me over the side.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

I should imagine come December it should be starting to stay dry. Problem is is that there is obviously no definite end of the wet season and start of the dry season. Whatever time of year you travel to the tropics you are always likely to potentially risk rainfall.

We went first time to Thailand in October 2009 and it rained solidly for 7 days and then was pretty much dry for the next 7.

Went to the Maldives once and it rained for about 5 hours a day EVERY day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

I suppose it's the risk you run. Just annoying that the travel agent (thomson) told us it would be really hot out there in December.. Fingers crossed.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

It's really hot there 365 days a year. Pretty much constant 30 degrees +

December should be dryer and sunnier.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao lak weather at the moment

Update. Just heard from daughter. Still chucking it down and no end in sight today. She says she looks whiter than when she left the UK.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations